Like many of you, I have many irons in the fire between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  This year I referred to photos from last year and duplicated the decorating vignettes that were particularly pleasing to me and added new touches here and there.  The day after I decorated outside, the next morning I was greeted with a fresh coat of snow which really sets the mood for the holidays.  Too bad that also means it is cold outside.

I did take a day to sew a Christmas dress for Ella.  I bought a lovely piece of red and black plaid fabric while in Iceland last September and knew I had just enough to make a dress for her this year.  One size bigger would have taken more fabric than I had. The pattern required all pieces be cut on the bias which took a little extra planning and fabric.  The end result was wonderful and worth all the effort.  She loves the dress.  Here both Ella and Taylor are all decked out for a holiday brunch.

The Merry, Merry Tree Skirt in Quilts with a New Attitude is a great tree skirt for a large tree.  It is a fast and easy to piece project and would also be a great tree skirt for a modern setting using modern fabrics.  There might be someone in your family looking for that kind of tree accessory.

A treat I am making for hostess gifts this year is made from a recipe from Marilyn, a friend from forever ago and a really great cook. All of her recipes are keepers.  I have made a number of batches already and probably will have to make a few more.

Sweet and Salty Nuts –  These party pleasers are also mouth-watering tossed over a salad, casserole, or roasted vegetable dish.

Seasonal Pillows

Last fall, two of my pillow designs (the reindeer and tree) were featured in Fons and Porter QUILTY magazine.  The reindeer design was used again in this year’s Nov/Dec issue.  With my left over scraps, I made a log cabin block with wool strips and appliquéd circles on the strips so some of the circle would be incorporated into the seam.  I then pieced flannel borders onto the wool block.  I like the combo of the two fabrics and it is much easier to finish off the pillow when flannel is used on the outside edges.

While digging out the Christmas decorations, I found this Rudolph puzzle that I got for Christmas as a preschooler.  I think I will get it framed…it would be a fun picture to use next year and maybe one of those things that my daughter might like for her decorating next year while the kids are still small.

I hope your holiday is filled with joy, friends and family and you take time to enjoy the season.

SaveSave

18 Comments on FINISHING TOUCHES

1. Chris
    April 20, 2018 at 8:15 pm (4 months ago)

Dear Lynette, I enjoy the pictures of your home and gardens and look forward to your updates, but the last one I have is dated December 14, 2017. I hope all is well with you and your family…your home and gardens are beautiful, thank you for sharing them.

2. Sharen Storhoff
    January 7, 2018 at 8:19 pm (7 months ago)

3. Sharen Storhoff
    January 7, 2018 at 8:18 pm (7 months ago)

4. Sue Kaufmann
    December 14, 2017 at 7:15 pm (8 months ago)

Inspiring! Beautiful . . . especially Ella and Taylor. I really enjoy your Blog. Thank you. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

5. Kristi
    December 14, 2017 at 11:45 am (8 months ago)

I love how you decorate for the holidays and have for years! Merry Christmas!

6. Martha Wells
    December 14, 2017 at 10:29 am (8 months ago)

Your Christmas decorating is so lovely! The red plaid dress suits your granddaughter to a tee. I will try the idea of joining wool to flannel. You are so wise! Thanks again for all the tips and inspiration this year. Merry Christmas and best wishes for a happy 2018!

7. Linda in NE
    December 14, 2017 at 8:53 am (8 months ago)

You do such a lovely job of Christmas decorating. I just want to do less every year!

8. Marsha V
    December 14, 2017 at 6:57 am (8 months ago)

Your grandchildren are so cute ready for the brunch. I still love working with plaids, too. Thanks for sharing your Christmas ideas. I’m still finishing up my many “vintage” Thimbleberries projects! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

9. Cheryl S
    December 14, 2017 at 6:02 am (8 months ago)

I anxiously wait for you to post yout wonderful decorating for each and every holiday! You make your home so cozy and heartwarming!
    Have a blessed Christmas!

10. Nancy Dorsey
    December 14, 2017 at 5:56 am (8 months ago)

I really look forward to your blog. Each one brings inspiration and ideas for my own home. I also love your fabric lines and make sure I get whatever is currently available.

11. Crystal Herbert
    December 14, 2017 at 5:12 am (8 months ago)

You decorate so beautifully….made me feel very nostalgic looking at the photos. Love your quilts too…made several of your holiday quilts, which are decorating my house.

12. Valerie
    December 14, 2017 at 5:10 am (8 months ago)

Just loved seeing all these gorgeous photos – beautiful nature, such a pretty house and decorations, and adorable grandkids! Thank you for sharing. Also love the recipes and patterns. I get so excited when your newsletter arrives in my email! Merry Christmas!

13. Anne
    December 14, 2017 at 5:02 am (8 months ago)

Thanks so much for sharing your Christmas decorating photos.
    Great inspiration! Your grandchildren are so sweet. Merry Christmas!

14. Vangie Brake
    December 14, 2017 at 3:28 am (8 months ago)

Just beautiful. I wish I had half you talent. Merry Christmas Lynette and all the best for a safe and Happy New Year.

15. Jacquelynn Fife
    December 14, 2017 at 2:48 am (8 months ago)

Dear Lynette,
    Merry Christmas! Taylor & Ella are so precious &grown up…her dress is lovely. Your kitchen island is just spectacular as is your mantle. Your outdoors is always so inviting. Love the Cranberry Sparkle on sofa. So so many personal touches like your reindeer puzzle create a beautiful Christmas with memories for a lifetime. Thank you, as always, for sharing. Jackie in SC

16. Gail Brown
    December 14, 2017 at 2:37 am (8 months ago)

I love seeing you house at Christmas. I have made so many of your patterns in the holiday mode and enjoy them so much, because your books always showed how you used them in your home. I especially love the Fall and Winter ones. I have made many with pumpkins and a lot of Christmas ones. One of my favorites is the Christmas wreath wall hanging. You have been a great influence in my quilting life, Thank you so much for your guiding hand and beautiful fabrics. So happy to see you back in my world.

17. Dee (Delores)Angus
    December 14, 2017 at 2:24 am (8 months ago)

Do I see something of your smile in those adorable children? Thinking so. Thanks for sharing your cozy home with us plus the recipe. I remember that reindeer pattern fondly-still have mine. Framing the puzzle would be a great way to preserve it and display every year. Blessings!

18. Mary
    December 14, 2017 at 2:17 am (8 months ago)

Lynette, thank you so much for sharing your home and holiday ideas! I so enjoy your posts thru the year! May all the best be your this holiday season and thru the new year