I took a little time off from blogging this winter and the time got away from me, to say the least.  I hope I haven’t worried anyone.  We took a few trips since the first of the year and here it is mid April.  I wanted all of you to know that all is well here at the Jensen house.

We have had our fair share of unusual winter weather events that has put our spring arrival about a month late.  Normally at this time of the year I would be out in the garden house and yard hauling out pots and lugging garden soil to start planting…not this year.  We have had the coldest April in recorded history (and that says something for MN.)  Last weekend we got 18″ of snow, which also set a record for a spring snow event.

As I gazed out my front door at the never ending snowfall, I decided to head for my paints and canvases to paint flowers since I couldn’t actually garden.  I spent all weekend painting and created an indoor garden to satisfy my sprint planting urges.  This week looks like the weather is going to turn the corner and actually act like spring so I will soon be outside “digging” and not indoors painting.

It is also time to change out the quilts from winter to spring.  The rooms all take on a whole new, fresh look with a lighter palette of fabrics.  It is fun to take another look at quilts that have been stored for a while and appreciate not only the handiwork, but also the fun fabrics.  I have always had pretty neutral background colors on the walls, beds and large upholstered pieces so I can easily change out the whole appearance of a room with accessories like paintings, quilts and pillows.

This all time favorite of mine (4-Patch Scrap Quilt) was featured in the Thimbleberries Block Party book.

31 Comments on TIME OFF

1. GAIL BROWN
    April 24, 2018 at 10:54 pm (4 weeks ago)

I always look forward to seeing your beautiful yard, it was a feature in your books that I loved. Looks like you will be off to a late start this year. Your paintings are beautiful. Will they be appearing on fabric any time soon? Please!
    Love the old four patches,l backgrounds that go with everything and just the comfortable look.

2. gail katzenmaier
    April 24, 2018 at 7:27 pm (4 weeks ago)

Your paintings are beautiful! Are you using oils or acrylics? I am a fellow Minnesotan, so I am looking forward to just seeing some green grass !

April 24, 2018 at 7:53 pm (4 weeks ago)

I have been using acrylics and also trying my hand at watercolor. Painting is new for me, so every painting is a learning exercise, but very fun.
      Today, I am going to the Art in Bloom exhibit at the Minneapolis Institute for Art. It is a four day show that pairs paintings with floral arrangements.
      Seems like the perfect thing to do as I am still waiting for snow to melt on the north side of my house. Maybe by this weekend, I will be able to start working outside.

• gail katzenmaier
        April 26, 2018 at 2:29 am (4 weeks ago)

Enjoy the exhibit – I am sure you will be inspired! I paint with acrylics mostly, but like to try new mediums. Maybe this summer I will give watercolors a try.

3. Susie W.
    April 24, 2018 at 7:06 pm (4 weeks ago)

Hi Lynette, missed you! Glad everything is fine. Our Spring is 3 weeks behind in Ohio and yesterday I finally could start cleaning out the beds. The winter that never ends this year! The paintings are gorgeous. Can’t wait to hear all about your spring plantings this year!

April 24, 2018 at 7:54 pm (4 weeks ago)

I guess I did realize winter has been unkind everywhere. I am always grateful that I have so many things I love to do indoors, that the weather doesn’t get me down.

4. Vangie Brake
    April 24, 2018 at 6:55 pm (4 weeks ago)

Glad to have you back. You were missed.

5. Martha Wells
    April 24, 2018 at 9:44 am (4 weeks ago)

I am so glad to hear all is well at the Jensen home! I was that you had stopped blogging for good, or that someone in the family was not well. It has been a very long winter season! The weather was warm and dry enough to get outside 4/21.
    I am excited that I found the gold print for Harvest Pinwheels from Classic Country 2000. I have all the fabrics laid out to bag for a quilt kit! I also finished kitting the Timeless Grace version of Crazy Puzzle quilt from Block by Block to Beautiful Quilts. Your patterns and fabrics continue to inspire many! Best wishes for a sunshine filled spring!

6. Debra
    April 24, 2018 at 8:43 am (4 weeks ago)

I’m so glad to hear from you. You have been missed and I admit I was a little worried. I’m so glad you enjoyed some well deserved time off. I always enjoy your posts. I have been a Thimbleberries quilter for many years, started with quilters garden, and your patterns are always my go to. Wishing you a wonderful spring.

7. Welton Renee
    April 24, 2018 at 7:57 am (4 weeks ago)

Beautiful paintings, love the quilt!

8. Jill Carstens
    April 24, 2018 at 7:09 am (4 weeks ago)

I was so excited to see that there was a new post to your blog today! I first discovered Thimbleberries at my LQS back in 2004. I was homeschooling my three children at that time so there was little time for quilting. I told myself then that when I started the next chapter of my life I wanted to quilt using Thimbleberries. That next chapter started for me last fall (2017). At first I was saddened to have missed out on the Thimbleberries clubs and such,but I have been having so much fun collecting your books, fabrics and patterns. Now I need to get busy sewing!

9. Kathleen Mckinstry
    April 24, 2018 at 5:43 am (4 weeks ago)

Hi Lynette
    I actually was getting a little worried, didn’t know if you had decided to give up this post (heaven forbid!) or if it was something else. Glad to hear all is well in your household.
    I’m in CT and I believe we had the coldest April ever recorded or close to it. We had snow a few times in April but nothing can top your snowfall!
    I love your flower paintings, your talent are never ending! I look forward to your post, please keep sharing with us everything you do. You are so inspiring!!
    Best wishes,
    Kathy
    Ps: I especially love hearing anything you do with or for the grandchildren!

10. Cindi Combs
    April 24, 2018 at 5:01 am (4 weeks ago)

Welcome back sure have missed you. Yes we all need a break now and then. Good to hear all is well in the Jensen family. It too has been a cold April lots of snow here in PA. Take care and thank you for all the good ideas, quilting patterns, beautiful fabrics and yummy reciepts.

11. Diane
    April 24, 2018 at 4:59 am (4 weeks ago)

Thank you for your newsletter. I have missed hearing from you. Hope all is well. The snow looked pretty incredible from here in sunny southern California. It looked beautiful. I would like to have 4 seasons. But as my mother, from ND, used to say if winter just didn’t last so long. I enjoy your newsletter very much.

12. Martha Followill
    April 24, 2018 at 4:42 am (4 weeks ago)

Your painting are beautiful. I also love the quilt. What is the size of the squares that you put together to make the one square. You put 4 squares to make one square. Hope this is not confusing.

April 24, 2018 at 6:28 am (4 weeks ago)

The squares are cut 2″ and finished measure 1/2″ with alternating 3″ (finished) plain squares.

13. Jill acatstens
    April 24, 2018 at 4:33 am (4 weeks ago)

14. Kay
    April 24, 2018 at 4:27 am (4 weeks ago)

Welcome back! I sure have missed you. Glad to hear the Jensen family is well. Looking forward to all things Thimbleberries. Bless you.

15. Irene Shooter
    April 24, 2018 at 4:03 am (4 weeks ago)

Your quilts and paintings are Beautiful, you are so talented!

16. Sheila Koenig
    April 24, 2018 at 3:40 am (4 weeks ago)

Glad you posted a new blog and grateful we do not snow like you.

17. Sue McQuade
    April 24, 2018 at 3:15 am (4 weeks ago)

So good to hear all is well. Beautiful paintings and quilt. Blessings to you and your family.

18. Connie JEFFRIES
    April 24, 2018 at 2:46 am (4 weeks ago)

Would love to see your painting transferred into fabric designs.

19. Andy Koenig
    April 24, 2018 at 2:12 am (4 weeks ago)

Lynette, I so like your newly painted pictures! I am honored to know such a multi-talented person. Happy planting!

20. Donna Lee Lurker
    April 24, 2018 at 2:00 am (4 weeks ago)

So good to hear from you, Lynette! Your paintings are lovely. I live in New Jersey, and the winter has been dreadful. We are finally seeing flowering trees!

21. Kristi
    April 24, 2018 at 1:31 am (4 weeks ago)

It’s ironic that you should feature the 4-patch Scrap Quilt! A friend and I are going to make this quilt together, only virtually, since she lives in Central Oregon and I now live in north Washington State. I still have a lot of Thimbleberries fabrics so I will have no problem stitching this lovely quilt!

22. Gayle Davis
    April 24, 2018 at 1:26 am (4 weeks ago)

Those paintings are lovely. You are a very multitalented lady!

23. Carol L Johnson
    April 24, 2018 at 1:22 am (4 weeks ago)

I love the gestural loose paintings of the flowers, and I see those colour influences in your quilts. How beautiful! I live in northern British Columbia, and I hate to tell you this, but my Iceland poppies are already greening up – always my first plants of the season. Spring WILL come!

24. Sandy Bessingpas
    April 24, 2018 at 1:20 am (4 weeks ago)

Welcome,back. I was a little worried about you,so it was great to see a post today. Your paintings of flowers are beautiful..I am heading out this afternoon to clean off my first flower bed..the snow is finally gone here in Alexandria and the sun sure feels good

25. Paula Hunt
    April 24, 2018 at 1:08 am (4 weeks ago)

Sounds like you had Alaska weather We are ready for spring.

26. Renee M.
    April 24, 2018 at 1:03 am (4 weeks ago)

I have LOVED Thimbleberries for many years. I remember going to the local quilt shop with a picture of “The Thimbleberries Book of Quilts” saying “do you have this”? I was so excited to get this book! I still have my book and many, many more…a collection of Thimbleberries I think! You continue to inspire and I just wanted you to know that my house is so much prettier thanks to you. Have a great day!

27. MARY Jane Drisgula
    April 24, 2018 at 12:47 am (4 weeks ago)

I love your quilts and have made several. Your directions are the best. I always hand quilt my quilts. I’m not the best but as my son said years ago, “mom it will mean so much more if you hand quilt it”. So I’m wondering, do you ever hand quilt?