GARDENING IN SEPTEMBER

We are having one of those stretches of weather where our days are sunny and the nights are cool…just perfect as far as I am concerned.  My garden has started to take on a decided look of fall.  Everything is still mainly green, but hints of bronze are sneaking in and the plants that bloom late in the season are outstanding.  It is such a joy to work outside when the temps are reasonable and the humidity is low.  The weeds have settled down because all of the plants are big enough to crowd them out so there isn’t much weeding to do.  Mainly, I just need to deadhead and trim things back a bit when they get little out of control.  I can honestly say, my September garden is my favorite.

AUTUMN DECORATING

I have started to bring out the pumpkins and fall quilts.  The whole fall palette is still a favorite of mine.  It is hard to pick and choose between all of the quilts and runners that I have in my collection.  One of the newest, is the Harvest Lone Star Burst that was recently featured in my last book, Quilts with a New Attitude.  I know I designed it as a wall quilt but it looks pretty great on my island and table as well.

The deck got a makeover this season as well.  I just couldn’t resist.

And even the pumpkin potholder made the cut this year, adding a nice touch of fall color to my counter by my ovens.

BETTER LATE THAN NEVER

Just like all of you, I have been finishing up projects that I have unearthed in my sewing room. I started this wool project years ago while on vacation.  I purchased it as a kit and no longer know who published the pattern.  I do like working with wool and love to travel with wool stitching projects.  This one, however, got lost in the shuffle for many, many years….happy to have it done and in use.

PILLOW POWER

The first thing I do in the fall is change out my pillows from the lighter ones I use in the spring and summer to my “harvest” pillows.  In general, I keep the same pillows, and switch out the covers.  That keeps the pillow storage under control.  The bench in my front entrance is a fun place to load up with a lot of different pillow designs and sizes.

SaveSave

20 Comments on IT SEEMS LIKE FALL TODAY

1. LORRI REIMER
    September 15, 2017 at 11:25 am (2 months ago)

Hi.i’m looking for a quilt pattern that is called Diamond Jubilee designed by Lynette Jensen for RJR using Home Again fabric line copyright 2015 is there some way of getting a hold of it. Thanks

September 17, 2017 at 12:39 am (2 months ago)

It was a free pattern from RJR Fabrics. They might be able to help you out.

2. Martha Wells
    September 13, 2017 at 1:09 am (2 months ago)

Your gardens are so colorful! You encourage me to improve my own. I love the colors of your deck re-do. I have so enjoyed Quilts with a New Attitude and the projects in it! Your pillows and pot holder give me ideas for small projects. Wishing you an abundant autumn!!

3. Pat
    September 13, 2017 at 12:05 am (2 months ago)

I LOVE the pumpkin placemat where can I find that pattern?

September 17, 2017 at 12:42 am (2 months ago)

That pattern is in the book, Beautiful Blocks for Beautiful Quilts. You can contact them at
      landauerpub.com

4. Sue
    September 12, 2017 at 9:53 am (2 months ago)

Gardening and quilting go sweetly together. Each blooms with preserving rewards.
    Thank you for your God given talents that you share with us.

5. Barbara O'Hare
    September 12, 2017 at 4:28 am (2 months ago)

In what book is the pattern for the pumpkin potholder? I have most of your books, but it might be easier if you let me know which one.

September 17, 2017 at 12:43 am (2 months ago)

That pattern is in the book, Beautiful Blocks for Beautiful Quilts from Landauer Publishing.

6. Kathy Templeton
    September 12, 2017 at 2:40 am (2 months ago)

Thank you so much for sharing your garden, your decorating, your quilts, just everything. I love fall too. I get so much enjoyment at looking at your post. I will be waiting for the next one.

7. Diane Culliney
    September 12, 2017 at 1:46 am (2 months ago)

Love your fall garden and decor. Inspiration to get going with my fall decoration.

8. Barbara Lindeman
    September 11, 2017 at 11:44 pm (2 months ago)

OMG! Lynette I LOVE everything about you, your home decorating, your landscaping/gardens! What an inspiration you are! And the ‘greatest compliment is to have someone copy you’ right? So I’m going to try to copy all you have shown us today! I have made a few of your fall wall hangings and can’t wait to hang them up now!

9. Diane
    September 11, 2017 at 8:36 pm (2 months ago)

Lynette – Your home always looks so beautiful – You inspire the rest of us! I
    always look forward to your posts. Fall is my favorite season too. Thanks so much for sharing it all.

10. Barbara
    September 11, 2017 at 8:26 pm (2 months ago)

Your fall garden is beautiful! Maybe it is the basis for another project for quilters? Thanks for all the wonderful quilts, too.

11. Barbara Snedegar
    September 11, 2017 at 4:45 pm (2 months ago)

Fall is my favorite season. Your home looks beautiful, with the fall garden and all the quilts and pillows. I would love to start decorating for fall, but we are in the middle of a kitchen reno. I will have to wait for the dust to settle!

12. Biscotte
    September 11, 2017 at 1:43 pm (2 months ago)

Votre jardin est vraiment magnifique !
    J’aime beaucoup votre quilt Harvest Lone Star Burst !

13. Mary Ellen Orchard
    September 11, 2017 at 12:31 pm (2 months ago)

Like you, my favorite time of the year is autumn… you just can’t beat he colors for the hominess of it all!You can almost smell the glories of life… okay, so maybe it’s the pumpkin pie, but you can still smell it! lol.

14. Lynnea
    September 11, 2017 at 11:02 am (2 months ago)

I just have to ask because this is starting to be an issue for me Where to you store all your seasonal stuff‼️ I love fall colors and fall quilts and decor that stay up until Christmas of which I LOVE as well my husband and I have so much fun decorating our house. But I am almost to the point of running out of places to stash the stuff between seasons. I was thinking if I have a problem Lynette must have a 2nd house to store all her fun stuff when not in season

September 17, 2017 at 12:50 am (2 months ago)

I don’t have a second house for storage but I do have a great quilt cupboard that is 9′ long and 6’feet high. And then, of course, it helps that I keep switching things out season by season so things get rotated and stored in the same place. Many of my arrangements around the house also get rotate so I am not storing things but rather using them in different rooms and adding seasonal touches with fresh flowers and foliage. The artificial pumpkins and Halloween collectibles and Christmas items are stored in plastic storage tubs in our storage/furnace room in the basement. At this point in my life I try not to add items unless I eliminate items. It helps keep things in “check”.

15. Kathleen McKinstry
    September 11, 2017 at 9:58 am (2 months ago)

In a nutshell, your gardens and all the design elements are simply GORGEOUS! I enjoy every one of your post, more so than any others I receive in my mailbox. My gardens here in CT aren’t looking so good right now, but seeing how pretty your’s are has brighter my day.
    Thanks again Lynette for taking the time to share your life with us!
    Kathy

16. Jacquelynn Fifw
    September 11, 2017 at 8:52 am (2 months ago)

Your autumnal quilts, colors & decor are soectacular, as always! Loce the Harvest Lone Star. Pumpkins coming soon?! Jackoe