I think the category of “out-of-print patterns and books”, most specifically, past Block of the Month patterns is the most requested information I receive.    Next is the category of “out-of-print fabrics”. In many cases, consumers are looking for items from ten to fifteen years ago and I just do not have resources for those items any longer.  I understand many of you are working through your stash of kits and projects. When I closed the Thimbleberries studio,  files were closed and now, many cannot be retrieved because of outdate computer programs.  This means I don’t have any extra copies of items available and cannot even access the electronic files.

In most cases, missing fabrics can easily be replaced and mixed in with the original kits and the end result will be wonderful.  As for missing block patterns from the Block of the Month quilts, if you are missing one or two, simply replace by repeating one of the other blocks in the twelve month series.  If you change the fabrics out or simple change the placement of the fabrics, the block will blend right in.

The items that are the most difficult to replace or reference are the newsletter projects and recipes that were published in the Thimbleberries Club Newsletters that were exclusive to Club members through the quilt shop where Thimbleberries Clubs were conducted.  Those newsletters and projects made Club pretty special but those items, as a rule, cannot be resourced in other publications.

I am happy to see that many of you are able to help each other out with these lost items.  In hind sight, it would have probably been wise to keep everything, but after 26 years of designing and publishing, that just wasn’t possible.

For those of you who find great deals on Thimbleberries fabric kits at yard sales that do not have the patterns included, it is best to add the fabric to your stash and include those fabrics in a fabulous scrap quilt.

LAST WEEK’S PROJECT

Whenever the temperatures and humidity are high, I do my gardening early in the morning and then retreat to the sewing room when the temperature is cool and there is always something that captures my attention.  Last week, it was a doll bed that I wanted to deck out for Ella to use at the cabin. I found a cute doll bed at a sale earlier this spring that needed a coat of paint.  Normally, everything for Ella is done in the pink palette for her room at her house, but I decided to paint this one red to match the cabin decor.  Outfitting the bed required a dig through my fabrics and a few vintage pieces…always a favorite activity for me.  I made the ticking striped mattress from left-over slipcover fabric and had a small piece of vintage kitty print fabric for the bed cover.  The pillow sham is made from a small table linen I have been saving for years that once belonged to my favorite Aunt Glady. When I find the right project to use these precious vintage items for, it is very gratifying. Ella won’t understand all the connections but will love the bed and all its parts.  However, all the vintage pieces make it extra fun for me while I am making the items.  I guess it is a win for both of us.

PEAK LILY TIME

Mid July is peak Lily time in my garden.  These are my favorites and really add a great pop of color in the garden.  They will linger for a few weeks and then, I will need to wait another year.  I particularly like the peach blossoms with the burgundy centers.  The plant stems are sturdy and can withstand hard rain and wind.  Our storms tend to be on the troublesome side in July when these blooms appear.

Today is another day to spend indoors.  It is hot and steamy outside and heavy Thunderstorms are predicted for this afternoon.  My sewing room is the best place to be today.

SaveSave

26 Comments on LONG GONE

1. Kathy Allen
    August 4, 2017 at 4:50 am (3 weeks ago)

My favorite patterns, Thimbleberries, and I have gotten a bit behind in my quilting and working to organize my sewing room, I have a kit called “whispering pines,” the pattern is in Snow Country Quilts, my is a queen, could you tell me final instructions in making it a queen! Thanks!

August 4, 2017 at 9:04 am (3 weeks ago)

I don’t have instructions for sizes other than the original pattern size. And, if you have a kit, you wouldn’t have enough fabric to make it much larger. I think you should make it the size it is written for and enjoy it as a beautiful throw or accent quilt.

2. Donna Lee Lurker
    July 28, 2017 at 11:31 pm (4 weeks ago)

Lynette, your garden must be spectacular! And I love the doll bed–such wonderful memories for you as you stitch with vintage fabric from your family. I wish you could start up another Thimbleberries club!

3. Kathy in WV
    July 26, 2017 at 6:31 am (4 weeks ago)

I have so much respect and admiration for you…but I came to the Thimbleberries world very late in my quilting life. I have managed to garner a couple of Pansy Park kits as well as Lazy Crazy and A Quilter’ Garden as well as a few others. These 3 are my all-time favorites so whenever I find any of these fabrics I scoop them up. It just seems so sad to me that those wonderful old patterns and fabrics can’t have a second go-round and be re-printed and re-manufactured so that new quilters and quilters in the future can enjoy them. Of course, I understand your reasons…they are quite logical and they are YOUR decisions. I am just a huge fan of your body of past work and regret it took me so long to come to appreciate it. Blessings….

4. Jan Dudley
    July 24, 2017 at 2:57 am (1 month ago)

Thanks Lynette! Your tips are always right to the point. You and your designs are still so popular. Still love your color and pattern choices as I leaf through your books.

5. Gail Brown
    July 22, 2017 at 3:13 am (1 month ago)

I have about 17 Thimbleberries books and occassionaly find patterns at yar. sales or on line. I found one of the first published patterns, a pine tree pattern, not with a nice picture on the front, looks self published. The lady it belonged to had included the templates she made. I always loved the books because of all the wonderful pictures of your homes,cottages, cabins and yes, your sisters house. Like you I like collecting “stuff” to decorate my home, along with my quilts most of which are your quilts. Glad to see some new fabrics and ideas.

6. Margaret
    July 21, 2017 at 3:10 am (1 month ago)

I so enjoyed looking at the photos of your lilies. I love lilies but can’t grow them very well in my yard because of the local deer population. I’ve been entranced by lilies ever since visiting Maine some years ago where I saw them growing in so many gardens. They were so relaxed looking and inviting and I fell in love at that time. Thanks for the lovely photos.

7. Diane MacKelvey
    July 21, 2017 at 2:14 am (1 month ago)

Dear Lynette,
    Thank you for your newsletter. They always brighten my day.
    God bless,
    Diane MacKelvey

8. Kathy
    July 20, 2017 at 11:04 pm (1 month ago)

I was a member of Thimbleberries Club for several years in early 2000. I have a lot of fabric and the BOM patterns from those years. I would share if there is something specific someone needs.

July 21, 2017 at 2:58 am (1 month ago)

Thanks…I am sure there will be people contacting you. I am impressed you saved all the items.

• Jewell
      July 21, 2017 at 8:55 am (1 month ago)

Oh please contact me. I got the fabric kit and in moving somehow lost or buried the patterns to the 2007 block of the month. This lady http://cottagemagpie.com/img/t/thimbleberries-2007.jpg is the picture of the quilt. I had the privilege of taking care of mom in 2007-2009 when she passed. Now I am trying to get all the quilts done I put up.<Could you help me please? Thank you in advance.

Jewell

9. JoAnn Brethouwer
    July 20, 2017 at 8:31 pm (1 month ago)

OMGOSH Lynette, I still have DOZENS of your “vintage” fabrics, in yardage of 3 or more YARDS; dating back to the middle 1990s. I buy as many of your fabrics in every amount available, every single time I run across one.

As for your BOM patterns, I’ve made so many different fabric color variations. I stay true to only use the same style of fabrics for each quilt top. I’ve made 5 Pansy Park quilt tops. The 1st and 2nd were with the Pansy Park fabrics, including the backing fabrics. The other 3 were Primitive Civil War reproduction fabrics.
    Your patterns are relatively easy to reproduce. Thank you for sharing your talent for thousands of us to enjoy.

10. Lynda Arduser
    July 20, 2017 at 7:57 pm (1 month ago)

Love the little bed and the cute bedding you made. I also retreat to my sewing room when the days are hot and humid. Your lilies are beautiful-I think with all the rain helped them be so gorgeous. I enjoy and look forward to your newsletter. Thank you, enjoy the rest of the summer. Lynda

July 21, 2017 at 10:55 pm (1 month ago)

Today is another “one of those days” so I will be making curtains for Ell’s room at the cabin. Certainly not a necessary item, but I have had the fabric laying here for awhile and it will be good to get them out the door and up on her window. I think her room is them complete. Nice thing is, she notices every little touch that I add and so far loves each one. I think that time is fleeting, so best to do things now while it lasts.

11. Tricia
    July 20, 2017 at 6:35 pm (1 month ago)

Do you still sell the grease free lotion?

July 21, 2017 at 3:04 am (1 month ago)

No, sorry, that is all sold out. I have even used up the last of mine. It was good stuff.

12. Jean Nolting
    July 20, 2017 at 12:23 pm (1 month ago)

I was lucky enough to take 3-4 years of your BOMs. I have a note book full of patterns and news letters. I also have a tan shirt that you autographed for me when you were featured at the MN. State Fair.I visited your shop too.Needless to say that I am still a big fan.

13. Grace
    July 20, 2017 at 10:49 am (1 month ago)

I loved my Thimbleberries club group! I have so much Thimbleberries fabrics I could start a store.
    I began quilting at 11-12 years of age from a McCall’s magazine. The pattern was Cathedral Windows quilt, no batting required. I used my school ruler, a pencil, and mother’s sewing scissors. The instructions said no machine sewing (I didn’t see why not)!
    I was so proud of it and gave it to my grandmother as a gift.
    Some of my fondest quilting memories are with my Thimbleberries group.
    If I can help with any fabrics, I’d be glad to help.
    Thank you so much Lynette for the wonderful fabrics & patterns you have created through the years. What a joy they became to so many quilters!

July 21, 2017 at 3:00 am (1 month ago)

I can’t believe you guys…quite the fans!

14. Welton Renee
    July 20, 2017 at 10:25 am (1 month ago)

Love Ella’s doll bed. What a wonderful
    Keepsake for her!

15. Eleanor Brickhouse
    July 20, 2017 at 9:33 am (1 month ago)

I sure do miss the Thimbleberries Club!!!! That’s when I started quilting

July 21, 2017 at 3:00 am (1 month ago)

I think that was true for a lot of quilters around the world…nice memories.

16. Martha Wells
    July 20, 2017 at 9:18 am (1 month ago)

What a darling doll bed ensemble! It gave me an idea for an embroidered skirt that belonged to my great aunt.

July 21, 2017 at 3:02 am (1 month ago)

I love it when my ideas spur other ideas. It is so nice when a purpose arises that justifies hanging onto so many things from the past.

July 21, 2017 at 3:02 am (1 month ago)