This week found me outside everyday.  We had one of those weeks of weather that makes a gardener go crazy.  We call it Minnesota beautiful.  That means sunny, no wind, a high of 70° and no humidity.  It was perfect for everything…work and leisure.  I have learned over the years that I generally need two to three trips to the nursery.  Each time I fill my car to the brim and promise myself I will get everything that I buy planted that same day.  Over a two day period, I planted a little over 150 plants.  Check out my car…full to the brim, including the passenger’s seat.

Each year I create a plan to determine what color scheme I am going to work with for both bedding plants and containers.  I have some standards that I always use, but will change the accent plants from year to year.  I like to repeat the same color family and plants around the whole yard and in the containers to unify the different areas.  Before heading off to the nursery, I will check out their website to view what they are stocking and make a list so I don’t get distracted by all the great things I see when I make my trip to get the plants.  I try to mix interesting foliage plants that do not flower with the plants that do so the contrast makes both stand out.  This all sounds very much like the same process we all go through when planning a quilting project…right?

When I start planting, I place all of the plants around the yard and in the pots to see how the plan is coming together.  It gives me the opportunity to change combinations before digging.  I use a little fertilizer (Osmocote)  to give the plants a jump start.  Our season is short so it is best to use all the tools available to help the plants thrive.  I will post pictures of this pot and this garden spot to show you the progress throughout the summer.  Everything always looks so skimpy when planted and then glorious at the end of the summer and different every week in between.

I find myself doing a walk through the gardens almost everyday.  I try to make the most of the season and enjoy the fruits of my labor.  It is also a good way to keep up on things “going rogue” before they get too out of hand and doing a little bit at a time makes tending the garden more manageable.

Now that I have most of the planting done here at home, I have a few pots at the cabin that I will plant this weekend.  I do try to keep the gardening and yard maintenance to a minimum there.  After all, that is suppose to be more about relaxing.  The kitchen duties keep me busy enough.

This is the week that my five ornamental apple trees have fully blossomed out.  I also have lilac hedges on both sides of our property that extend 20-40 feet.  Obviously the fragrance outside right now is pretty glorious.  This is a very short lived period of wonderfulness.  Next week when the rain comes, the blossoms drop pretty rapidly.  However, for the moment, our whole town and countryside is a feast for the eyes.

I painted a small water color of the apple blossoms for Ella’s room.  Her room is the one I can add all my small pastel pictures and crafts to and they seem right at home.

Since Sunday was Mother’s Day, I  decided to make my mother’s favorite bar recipe, Mounds Bars, to take to the cabin.  She made these often for many of the weekends at the lake during my childhood. It seemed fitting to have them this year as a tiny reminder of the countless hours she spent over my lifetime making things special.  And it was a nice way to talk about her and all she did for a  little while. She loved the cabin.

If you like chocolate and coconut, you will love this treat.

MOUNDS BARS

7 Comments on IT IS TIME….

1. Emily
    May 19, 2017 at 6:36 am (4 months ago)

The recipes looks yummy! Thank you for sharing.

Take care.

2. Diane MacKelvey
    May 17, 2017 at 10:55 pm (4 months ago)

Thank you for the lovely email. It cheered and blessed my heart. How wonderful that you share your talents with others to bless them. Your garden looks lovely and is an inspiration.

3. Dianne Sanchez
    May 17, 2017 at 8:48 pm (4 months ago)

A friend of mine was at a quilt show a couple of years ago and fell in love with your Lake Stars quilt featuring your Lake Life line. She bought the kit but since she doesn’t quilt she has asked me to make the quilt for her. However the shop shorted her 3 of the panels. I have checked everywhere and can’t find anymore panels. Do you know of a resource? Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dianne

June 26, 2017 at 9:34 pm (3 months ago)

I am so sorry that happened. I too, do not have access to any. Perhaps someone reading my blog can help. If push comes to shove, you could piece more of the alternating blocks and use them in a creative way…perhaps on the corners or as a border of blocks on the top or bottom. Sometimes these creative approaches makes for an even better quilt design.
      Good luck.

4. Val Russell
    May 17, 2017 at 6:52 pm (4 months ago)

Thank you for posting pictures of your gardens. Here in far west Texas, between drought and wind, our choices are few. I am learning and starting the process of harvesting rain water so maybe that will help on the drought situation. I won a rain barrel and rain gauge this spring, so that is what gave me the jump start to harvesting rain water (catching rain water from that runs off the roof).
    Have a great day.

5. Jacquelynn
    May 17, 2017 at 6:40 pm (4 months ago)

Just delightfully beautiful, Lynette! Your planning yields the fanulous fruits of your efforts to enjoy via all the senses. Love the likacs. Miss them here in SC. Happy Spring. Jackie Fife

6. Kathleen McKinstry
    May 17, 2017 at 12:27 pm (4 months ago)

Hi Lynette,
    I love your choice of flowers, it’s so hard to go to a nursery and stick to a budget or limit your choice of plants. I usually buy more than I need but this year I decided to cut way back. So far I’m doing pretty job at being selective!!
    I enjoyed the picture of your entire car loaded up, it made me laugh but it looked so pretty. I recognized everything in it as I buy many of the same ones. I especially love lantana and the heliotrope, can’t live without those two in my garden.
    I really like your style of painting and I’m glad you frame your work and display them for everyone to admire. You have great talent!
    I enjoy your post so much, thank you for writing them and sharing so much with us!
    Bye,