One rainy day spent in my sewing room always turns into either mending and ironing or rearranging fabric, sorting supplies and generally putting things back in order.  Usually, the process results in finishing a project and perhaps getting inspired to use up “stash” items to create something from “nothing”. It is always a good day when new, finished projects are the result.

If you remember the hearts I stitched for Ella’s holiday tree in her room….they needed to be replaced with bunnies and eggs for Easter.  She announced she would like decorations for the tree for every holiday throughout the year.  It sure is fun having someone who loves my little wool felt stitchery.  Here are the new spring decorations for her tree.  Luckily, I have a stash of wool felt, embroidery floss and pearl cotton that I can always dig into to make these small treasures.  There is no pattern.  I sketched a shape within a 2-3″ size and cut two pieces of felt for each ornament and stitched the edges together with a blanket or buttonhole stitch.  Just before I finished stitching around the shape, I tucked a very small amount of polyester fiberfil in to give a little dimension to the ornament.  Cookie cutters make great patterns for simple shapes if you do not want to free hand the shapes.

I think the next thing I need to do is come up with a special box to store all the ornaments in that can be tucked on a shelf in her closet so that as they accumulate they can all be stored in one place and retrieved easily for the years to come.

As I was looking for thread to use for these ornaments, it seemed like a good time to gather and organize all of the embroidery floss and pearl cotton that I have.  It is always frightening to discover the amount I have accumulated.  Over the years I have amassed quite a collection including threads from my grandmother, my aunt, my mother and everything from the Thimbleberries Studio.  They are now all in one antique picnic basket along with my embroidery hoops.  It is always a good thing to get every like item in one spot.

While sorting through, I thought of an idea that might use up a good amount of the embroidery thread stash.  I collected a group of threads of coordinating colors and stitched the strands onto a base to make a new pillow.  I found a neutral scrap of upholstery weight fabric that I had once used as a base for a group of appliquéd runners back in the eighties.  It was one of those pieces that I just kept over the years, knowing I would use it someday.  Well, that someday finally arrived and it was perfect for this project.  It is now a pillow and not a scrap of fabric.

I used a spool of variegated thread, and a huge variety of flosses, a wide zig zag stitch, a medium length stitch and stitched the floss onto the base in a diagonal pattern about an inch apart in both directions. I used the embroidery thread as it comes in the skein…6 single strands in a group.  This made a nice thick cluster to zig zag over.   As I stitched, I would slightly twist the 6 strands to make it easier to catch all the individual strands within the wide zig zag.

For the pillow back, I used the same zig zag stitch in the same diagonal pattern, eliminating the embroidery floss and used my usual envelop closer technique.  (Directions can be found in all of my books that have pillow projects.)

I love the finished pillow and also love knowing I made a little dent in my embroidery floss stash. The best part of the finished pillow is that I have found many places to use it in my house. Because I used so many colors, it seems to blend with all of my other pillow groupings in many rooms.

15 Comments on SEWING ROOM INSPIRATION

1. Linda Sevey
    April 24, 2017 at 6:06 am (5 days ago)

I need the June pillow pattern for 2004 club have bought the kit can you help

April 26, 2017 at 1:26 am (3 days ago)

Hi Linda,

I am sorry, I don’t have that pattern any longer. When I closed the Thimbleberries Studio, I did not keep files from that long ago.

2. Dorothy
    April 23, 2017 at 11:57 pm (5 days ago)

Hi Lynette……I am trying to locate your Kaleidoscope Burst Table Runner Pattern without much luck. They only place on I find it is on Keepsake Quilting but as a kit. Where can I find only the pattern……..Thank you

April 24, 2017 at 1:21 am (5 days ago)

Sorry, that is the only way the pattern is available. It was developed for a project of the month for Fons and Porter/Keepsake which meant including it in a kit.

3. Anne
    April 22, 2017 at 9:25 am (7 days ago)

Thanks Lynette for your creative ideas and instructions. What size pillow inserts do you use?

April 22, 2017 at 7:19 pm (7 days ago)

My favorite size pillow for most cases is a 20″ x 20″. And then I also like to use a 14″ x 18″ for small accent pillows to contrast with the larger square shape.

4. Kathleen McKinstry
    April 15, 2017 at 12:00 pm (2 weeks ago)

Hi Lynette,
    It was such a nice surprise to see your post in my email this evening. I love the Easter eggs and bunnies for your granddaughter’s holiday tree. What a lucky girl to have you for her grandmother!
    I love, and I mean I love your new pillow! It is just beautiful and it looks great no matter where you put it. I think you’re going to have to make a couple more for your house and lake cottage. It’s just too pretty to have just one in the house.
    Thank you for another inspiring post.
    Kathy

5. Pat Gaiefsky
    April 15, 2017 at 5:28 am (2 weeks ago)

The pillow was really neat!!!!!! Can’t wait to try it. The bunnies would be a great project for my granddaughter and me to do.

6. Welton Renee
    April 15, 2017 at 2:33 am (2 weeks ago)

Love both of those projects!

7. Elaine
    April 15, 2017 at 1:52 am (2 weeks ago)

What a great idea! Will do this when I need some new cushion covers!

April 15, 2017 at 1:58 am (2 weeks ago)

I am going to make more as well!

8. Susie
    April 15, 2017 at 1:30 am (2 weeks ago)

Lynette, that is so clever with the pillow and embroidery floss! And I love the ornaments – did you use floss or pearl cotton to do the button hole stitch? I must try that. A couple years ago, I made the bean bunnies from one of your books and I just loved how they turned out. They are treasured Easter decorations! Thanks for the ideas!

April 15, 2017 at 1:51 am (2 weeks ago)

Hi Susie,

I used pear cotton on the bunny and egg ornaments and floss on the pillow.

9. Candy Mollica
    April 15, 2017 at 1:25 am (2 weeks ago)

Love the pillow project. Have a container full of floss. What a great idea to use it. I don’t think I have the patience to do counted cross stitch again. Also love the idea of mixing the colors so the pillow can be used in more than one room.

April 15, 2017 at 1:56 am (2 weeks ago)

Oh, I know I won’t be doing counted cross stitch again either. I might do an embroidery project her and there, but I will never use up my stash of embroidery floss unless I do more pillows like this.
      I have so many other other colors to use that I certainly could make many. It is also a great way to use up thread odds and ends. Every once and a while I like to do that, just to keep the thread box “in line” a bit.