As you have noticed, I get to spend a lot of time with my two grandchildren, Taylor (8) and Ella (5).  Here they are, sweetly posing for me with their quilts we made together that are now on their beds in their bedrooms.IMG_0677 IMG_0678 Ella loves to decorate…rooms, trees, cakes, cookies, etc. How great for me, right?  This past holiday, her mom let her have a little white feather tree in her room that was all decked out for Christmas.  She wants to keep the tree up, so I stitched up some pink and purple hearts from wool felt with pearl cotton blanket stitched edges and a loop hanger.  I added just a bit of polyester fiberfil to puff them up a bit.  As soon as I delivered them, she headed up to her room to decorate her tree.  I guess I better get busy on some bunnies and eggs.  Easter will be here shortly and she will want to transform her tree once again.  Yesterday, she actually suggested I bring her something for every holiday for her tree.  I think it might be a fun activity for both grandma and Ella.  I realize I have a small window to do things like this with her while she still thinks it is special.IMG_0693IMG_0696IMG_0709IMG_0713

15 Comments on LITTLE SWEETHEARTS

1. Diane MacKelvey
    February 15, 2017 at 2:15 am (1 month ago)

My daughter is a librarian. I asked her if she would like a white feather tree to decorate for the library. She very much likes the idea. I plan to make the valentine felt hearts like you made. I am looking forward to any ideas you may have for Easter for the tree. Thank you for the inspiration.

February 16, 2017 at 9:30 am (1 month ago)

I guess I should get started. The Easter ornaments might take a little longer. I am thinking of egg shapes decorated with a variety of stitches in the likeness of crazy quilt blocks.

2. Willodean Minor
    February 11, 2017 at 9:10 pm (2 months ago)

Love the Little Tree with the Hearts! You are so right, she will grow up faster than you can ever realize. Enjoy the years you have .

3. Kathy
    February 11, 2017 at 8:43 pm (2 months ago)

Hi Lynette,
    Your grandchildren are beautiful and I’m so happy that you get to spend so much time around them. They grow too quickly as we all know.
    The quilts are beautiful and I can see from their work that they both are artistic. I love all the colors and the way you pieced everything together. I much say these are perhaps two of my most favorite quilts I’ve seen!
    What perfect decorations for Ella’s feather tree, perfectly simple and just the right thing for Valentine’s Day. Can’t wait to see what you will think up for the next holiday!!
    Wonderful post Lynette
    Kathy

4. Jacquelynn Fife
    February 11, 2017 at 6:54 pm (2 months ago)

Hi Lynette, Taylor & Ella are beautiful! You are creating cherished memories that each will hold in their hearts forever. Carrying on teaditions from your grandmother!
    Happy Valentine’s Day from SC Jackie

February 11, 2017 at 8:19 pm (2 months ago)

Well, I sure do have fun with them. Just last night we made huge butterflies. Taylor made one that looked like the map of the world. Ella’s, of course, had hearts on the wings. When they were done we pinned them on a quilt hanging on the wall in their playroom. Yay…I have found another use for quilts…colorful, decorative bulletin boards.
      Take care.

5. Karen Ralph
    February 11, 2017 at 4:15 am (2 months ago)

Those grandchildren are indeed lucky. I also think Ella has the wonderful creativeness of her grandmother. She will always enjoy doing things with you!

February 11, 2017 at 8:15 pm (2 months ago)

I sure hope we can continue all these fun, creative activities. It is fun to have another little audience for all the “ditzy” things I do.

6. Alice kindsfater
    February 11, 2017 at 12:12 am (2 months ago)

What a wonderful idea and she will cherish the time she spends with you.

7. Dawn
    February 10, 2017 at 11:11 pm (2 months ago)

Lynette, can you describe how you did the grandchildren’s quilts? I love having their artwork as a theme! I am new to your blog, so forgive me please if I am asking something you’ve talked about previously 🙂

February 11, 2017 at 12:26 am (2 months ago)

Welcome to my blog. Check out the archives listed on the right of the blog page. I described how to color the blocks in the two August posts…check them out for a quick tutorial on how to do the blocks. Piecing the quilts was a free-for-all with mostly 2″ strips. I bordered each of their artwork blocks with two rows of strips and then puts the quilts together….3 rows of 3 blocks each. I then bordered as needed to make them fit their beds. I used a number of border strips of varying sizes. On Taylor’s, I even used a different fabric for each side of the quilt for the outside border. These are great scrap quilts. I suggest you check out all the archives for a lot of fun ideas i posted over the last year and half.

8. Diane MacKelvey
    February 10, 2017 at 11:05 pm (2 months ago)

What a lovely idea. I am going to share this with a friend who has granddaughters. I enjoy your newsletters. Thank you. And happy Valentines Day.

9. Cheryl L Buchanan
    February 10, 2017 at 11:01 pm (2 months ago)

Never fear, she will always think this is special. I can remember everything my Grandmother did for me when she was alive and I cherish every memory. Ella will too. You are indeed a wonderful Grandmother.

10. Emily
    February 10, 2017 at 9:47 pm (2 months ago)

The quilts are beautiful! I can see both children’s personalities in their individual blocks they made.

11. Cindy Ferland
    February 10, 2017 at 9:01 pm (2 months ago)

What a lucky Ella. I think she takes after her grandma!