The first item on my list to do after the holidays was to finish the quilt my 4 year old granddaughter and I started to work on last summer.  Both she and and her brother created their own artwork on fabric squares with textile markers for their quilts.  He is a bit older so his artwork was a little more involved.  Check out the August section in the archives of this blog for instructions and marker resources for the artwork blocks.

Ella was very definite about the colors she was going to use on her blocks which dictated the fabrics used on the quilt.  I had a nice stash of  Cotton+Steel scraps leftover from the projects I made for my upcoming book, Thimbleberries with a New Attitude.  (The release date is March 1, 2017 and I will keep you posted if that changes.)  The fabrics are whimsical and with juvenile images and perfect colors for a little girl’s quilt that blended well with her artwork.  She was determined to just have hearts, flowers and rainbows on her blocks, which is exactly what she did.  Both she and Taylor wanted a “cozy” backing so I used a lightweight fleece on the back which you can see in the photo below. IMG_0675 IMG_0672

I am not sure she will remember drawing these blocks for the quilt, but I certainly will.  It was a fun activity this summer at the cabin on a rainy day afternoon now and then.  When all else failed, we could always work on our quilt blocks.  Now, I must work on labels for the quilts.  These are two that really need to be documented.

When I finish a quilt top, I prepare the binding immediately.  All too often, the fabric I wanted to use for a binding would have been used for something else before the top was quilted.  This way, I can get started on the binding immediately after the quilting is done.IMG_0671

6 Comments on SWEET MEMORIES

1. Chris
    February 4, 2017 at 8:43 pm (8 months ago)

A great project to do with my granddaughters this summer. We made your flip flops last summer and tie dye tennis shoes. So much fun.

2. Emily
    February 1, 2017 at 6:57 am (8 months ago)

Beautiful quilt! Love the fabrics and the quilting!

3. Kay
    January 29, 2017 at 10:20 am (8 months ago)

Such a fun project! I think I need to give this a try with the grands. I’ve been a Thimbleberries fan for YEARS! Can you tell me how many panels were in the Cover Story line? I have a few but wish I had all. Thanks for sharing your gift.

February 7, 2017 at 10:47 am (8 months ago)

I think there were eight Cover Story panels. They were issued a long time ago. I assume the originals would be very hard to find.

4. Candy Mollica
    January 29, 2017 at 4:21 am (8 months ago)

Awesome idea for the little ones.
    Also a reminder about setting aside fabric for the binding. I recently found my 3’s Company quilt in a bag, all completed except the binding. I wanted to use the large floral for the binding and I don’t have enough. What to do now? I’m sad. The quilter did an awesome job with the quilting.

5. Kristi
    January 28, 2017 at 9:10 pm (8 months ago)

I love this idea and hope to do this activity with my grandson when he is older (he’s 15 months). I’m excited to see your new book!