This time of the year is an ideal time to get some serious things done in the sewing room. You know, all the unfinished projects laying around that just need a few more hours to wrap up. Then, there are all of those kits you bought with perfectly good intentions that are still waiting for your attention.  On my list is also those very un-fun mending projects that take time but are not so enjoyable so they really get ignored until I am just too sick of sorting and stacking them one more time.  When done, I feel great…just like when the ironing is all caught up. This time of year I have a good amount of cloth napkins to iron and get back in the dining room cupboard drawers.

Here is a baby quilt I put together with charm squares and 2″ (cut size) strips of scrap fabrics as well as scraps to piece the backing.  This always feels the best…using up random fabrics that come together in a great scrap quilt.IMG_0659

IMG_0660For this quilt,  I used the same 2″(cut size) strips sewn end to end for the middle border.  The strips were left over from piecing the center of the quilt, so they are random sizes. I then added the pieced strip borders after bordering the center with a cream 2″ (cut size) border that “set off” the pieced center.  When this is done in a quilt design, I refer to it as a “floating” border.  It creates visual space without adding another design or color element.  All in all, I am pretty pleased with the quilt. I think it is fun, cheery and very functional.

Start digging, I am sure there are the makings for a cute little quilt at your finger tips.

10 Comments on WINTER PROJECTS

1. Rita Diewold
    January 24, 2017 at 7:31 am (4 months ago)

I am trying to finish some of my old quilting projects and I have made all the blocks back in 2007 to the Big Club Quilt (House and Garden). I have the fabrics to finish the top but I do not have the Quilt Assembly Directions. Is it possible to get them from someone? I would love to finish it! I met you, Lynette, in Longmont, Colorado.

January 24, 2017 at 8:36 am (4 months ago)

I have one copy of the Assembly Pattern left in my archives. If you are interested, please send a check for $9.00 to Lynette Jensen, 415 Washington Ave. W., Hutchinson, MN 55350. I can drop it in the mail to you so you can complete your quilt. Are you sure you don’t have it in with all you other patterns, kit or Club materials for that year? In which shop did you participate in Club…always fun to hear.

• Rita Diewold
        January 25, 2017 at 3:38 am (4 months ago)

Hi again, thank you for replying so quickly! I was a block of the month participant at Thread Bear in Longmont. Sadly, they are no longer in business. In the meantime…I had a couple of names/phone numbers on the back of one of the smaller project brochures. So I called one of them and just today got a call and was able to get the Big Quilt Assembly instructions. I will be searching for a nice backing once I finish the top!

2. Linda
    January 19, 2017 at 6:41 am (4 months ago)

Hi Lynette. Love your decorating. Where did you get the picture of the fruit. Thanks linda

3. Janet Smith
    January 15, 2017 at 12:06 am (4 months ago)

Great fabrics for your little ones quilt. Really like the backing.

4. Barbara Snedegar
    January 14, 2017 at 1:07 am (4 months ago)

This looks like a quick and easy way to use 5″ blocks too. I use to attend a quilt retreat and each time we brought 5″ squares for the theme that year, then had a swap with the other quilters. I have several huge stacks from several retreats that would stitch up in a jiffy using this pattern. Thanks for the inspiration!

5. Martha Wells
    January 13, 2017 at 11:14 pm (4 months ago)

What an inspiring scrap quilt! It is so colorful. The little touch of beige highlights the varied colors. Someone will be delighted with this quilt. Thank you for the lesson on color.

6. Rebecca Ross
    January 13, 2017 at 11:06 pm (4 months ago)

I, too, have been busy harvesting scraps and finishing up incomplete projects. This is always an exciting time of year in my sewing room, as I put away holiday items and uncover my worktable in the process!

7. Kristi
    January 13, 2017 at 10:58 pm (4 months ago)

This is a great scrap quilt! I have some Thimbleberries charm squares and scraps left over from past projects that would be perfect for this quilt. Thanks for the inspiration.

8. Diane MacKelvey
    January 13, 2017 at 10:47 pm (4 months ago)

Thank you for the baby quilt idea. I have a quilt to make and some fabric that I can now use for a baby shower I will be attending. I enjoy your emails.
    Thank you.