Happy New Year everyone.  The years seem to fly by.  January is always the month that is quite peaceful for me.  Our weather is challenging to say the least, so this is the month that we have very few visitors from other parts of the country.  Who am I kidding…nobody travels to MN in January.  It is a popular time to leave for the remainder of the winter.  We, however, are not “snowbirds”…sticking it out here in the cold.  However, I have always looked at January as “my month”…the perfect time for what I want to do in the house.  Since I don’t have any chores in the yard to do and no cabin activity going on, and no business commitments or travel,   it means a lot of reorganization goes on and new sewing and art projects get started.  It would also be nice to finish up those that got started and set aside for some reason or another.

One of the projects I am going to wrap up this next week is the quilt I am making with the blocks my 4 year old granddaughter, Ella, drew this summer at the cabin.  I finished Taylor’s last September.  It took Ella awhile longer to draw her blocks so they got set aside just before Thanksgiving when all things get put away until after the holidays.   All of a sudden it is January and she is inquiring about her quilt.

This means I am off to my local quilt shop, Quilt Haven on Main, to pick up a piece of cozy backing for her quilt.  I am so very lucky to have a fabulous quilt shop in my community.  And, I suggest that if you have one near you or close by to make sure you shop locally to make sure all the small quilt shops stay in business.  For years, quilters have found countless bits of inspiration, encouragement, classes, seminars and friendship at independent quilt shops and I am no different.  Even if you just need your spirits lifted, a walk through a quilt shop will do it.

Recently I took a few snapshots at Quilt Haven on Main  while shopping there over the holidays.  The shop is always full of great displays, the newest fabrics, books and patterns and the staff is incredibly knowledgeable, friendly and helpful.img_0580

img_0556 img_0563 img_0564 img_0565 img_0567 img_0568 img_0570 img_0577 img_0558 img_0559 img_0560 img_0561 img_0562 img_0564 img_0566 img_0567 img_0570 img_0576 img_0578 img_0579

Who wouldn’t be inspired with all these lovely samples.  Now, if you are not one of the lucky ones that has a local quilt shop, you can become a valued customer at Quilt Haven on Main by receiving their email newsletter or better yet, take a road trip to Hutchinson, MN and enjoy a nice long visit at the store.  They would be happy to become your “local quilt shop”.  Quilt Haven on Main is located at 7 North Main Street in downtown Hutchinson.  Contact information…qhonmain@hutchtel.net or 888-843-8215 or 320-587-8341.

26 Comments on QUILT LOCAL

1. Jeanette Hanberry
    January 24, 2017 at 10:41 pm (4 months ago)

Lynette, I am very glad to find your blog! I have been a huge fan for years, and recently started a facebook group for traditional quilts (all this white and orange makes my head hurt!) I posted a pic of my Quilters Garden top and have been asked to present it as a BOM. Is it possible to get permission to do that? I have all the patterns for reference, and it would help introduce you to a new generation as well as revive interest in your fabrics and patterns. Please communicate with me either way if possible. Thank you.

January 24, 2017 at 11:26 pm (4 months ago)

I have always been reluctant to give permission for such a situation because I believe this is one of the many reasons why so many independent pattern companies have gone out of business. It is very hard to compete with FREE patterns, especially ones so professionally developed. That being said, I would ask that if you do decide to use Quilter’s Garden as your BOM on your blog, that you do not scan and reproduce the patterns from the original and do your own graphics and formatting of the pattern. In addition, please give me credit for the original design and link to my blog. This is a way to retain the integrity of my original pattern series.
      Thanks for asking.

• Jeanette Hanberry
        January 24, 2017 at 11:39 pm (4 months ago)

Thank you for the fast response. If your patterns were commercially available we’d rather use them. What if I use my completed quilt as the final product, cut and sew a new block for each time period, use pics from that, and create my own graphics and instructions, while giving you credit for the original? I own a sign company so graphics are second nature. They would not be as good as yours of course but will that work? I’d do it as a blog that connected to the FB page so it would be available to all. Would you be willing to provide a written permission to protect me? I don’t want people thinking I have stolen designs from someone I admire. Thank again.

January 25, 2017 at 10:59 am (4 months ago)

This all sounds like a great solution. You have my written permission to conduct the Quilter’s Garden BOM on your blog.

2. Jacquelynn Tucker
    January 13, 2017 at 12:27 am (4 months ago)

Love the quilt shop photos. However I’m looking for a piece of fabric from your 2011 line Shades apart, circles and waves in light beige or cream. have checked eBay, etsy, amazon and Missing fabrics.com. Do you or any of your past employee’s have any? Need 1 1/2 yards. Any one out there I am willing to buy. also looking for a medium blue with small cross hatch design in darker blue, older Thimbleberries.

January 13, 2017 at 4:58 am (4 months ago)

Sorry, I don’t have any yardage of past fabrics. Rather, I saved quilts that had large varieties of the fabrics from various collections. It was impossible to save yardage of all the lines I did over the 25 years or more of designing fabrics.

3. Diane MacKelvey
    January 10, 2017 at 11:56 pm (5 months ago)

I very much enjoy your newsletters. Thank you for doing them. What a great quilt shop on Main Street. What lovely quilt samples and it was decorated so nicely. A belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

4. LL
    January 8, 2017 at 12:59 pm (5 months ago)

How can I get a pattern for the quilt star shine and how can I see your demonstration on find and porter?

January 9, 2017 at 12:17 am (5 months ago)

I think you might be referring to Autumn Star Shine, a quilt project that was featured in the Fons and Porter Love of Quilting magazine that came out late last summer…I think August. That pattern is only available in their magazine.
      You will have to contact them to see if any back issues are available. I did do a program for the Love of Quilting TV series that was part of their public TV programs this last year. I am not aware of a viewing schedule of their program. That would depend on the public television station in your area. Both of these issues are under the control of Fons and Porter. Sorry, this is all the information I have for you.

5. LL
    January 8, 2017 at 1:17 am (5 months ago)

Love your blog and photos! Always lifts my spirits to read them

• LL
      January 8, 2017 at 10:01 am (5 months ago)

Love your blogs. They lift my spirits. I was hoping there would be one today. Thank you very much

6. LL
    January 8, 2017 at 1:16 am (5 months ago)

Loved your post and photos. My spirits are always lifted when I read what you have to say. I was hoping one would come today. Many thanks for your efforts. LL

7. Kristi
    January 7, 2017 at 11:02 pm (5 months ago)

Thank you for the photos of Quilt Haven on Main. I would love to visit someday (when it’s warmer in MN)! My area has lost or is losing four quilt shops since September. They are either closed completely, changing to an on-line shop or “by appointment.” It’s very sad. Stay warm!

January 7, 2017 at 11:50 pm (5 months ago)

You can sign up for their monthly newsletter and make them your new local quilt shop.

• Jacquelynn Fife
      January 8, 2017 at 8:28 am (5 months ago)

Dear Kristi, The concept of a ‘ by appointment ‘ quilt shop is new to me! One of our great shops here in coastal SC closed. Fortunatley, we have two othr shops. We order alot from Quilt Haven on Main. Bonny & Connie & their terrific stwrr are most helpful and accomodating.

8. Karen Martin
    January 7, 2017 at 10:56 pm (5 months ago)

Quilt Haven is one of my favorite shops to visit when I am “down south”. The samples are all wonderful, but then there is that gallery of Thimbleberries quilts on the upper level–so fun to see those!

9. Susan
    January 7, 2017 at 6:43 am (5 months ago)

Lovely pictures!! Your post has reinforced my resolve to shop at a local quilt shop I discovered the week after Christmas!
    Question: how could I find the pattern used for the Christmas quilt…about four pictures from the bottom

January 7, 2017 at 7:15 am (5 months ago)

Hi…
      You will have to call Quilt Haven on Main at their number listed at the bottom of the post. They check in on my blog so may be able to reference it to help you out.

10. Sue Reynolds
    January 7, 2017 at 4:30 am (5 months ago)

I tried that number for the quilt store but it seems to be a different business. Could it by any chance be incorrect? I will try the email address too. Love the pictures and would like to do business with this quilt store.

January 7, 2017 at 5:17 am (5 months ago)

This must have been an old number. Try these….320-587-8341 or 888-843-8215. They are their local number and the toll free. Hope this works.

11. Linda Edwards
    January 7, 2017 at 3:59 am (5 months ago)

Hi. I did a lodge and lakeside Quilt in 2008 at Pocono Sew &Vac in Pa. I am finally putting it all together. There was a note if you were making the king size 120 x120 your counselor would give you the final border directions. The counselor does not remember ever getting them (she has been ill) do you still have the instructions? Thank you for your response.

January 7, 2017 at 5:18 am (5 months ago)

I will check with a few of my former employees to see if they have it…I don’t.

• Linda Edwards
        January 16, 2017 at 7:14 am (4 months ago)

Hi we’re you able to get the final border instructions for the king size 120 x 120 lodge & lakeside Quilt? If not I believe I will just fudge it. Thanks Linda

January 19, 2017 at 9:23 am (4 months ago)

Sorry, I can’t locate any of that material. I didn’t keep much of that kind of extra materials.
          I am sure you can fudge it to fit. It will be great.

12. Kate
    January 7, 2017 at 3:35 am (5 months ago)

How fortunate you are to have such a beautiful quilt shop nearby. I very much enjoyed all the beautiful photos.

13. Jacquelynn Fife
    January 7, 2017 at 3:23 am (5 months ago)

Happy 2017, Lynette! Your January plans sound fulfilling and warm with great results for Ella.
    The lovely photos of your local Quilt Haven on Main are just delightful.
    Quilt Haven on Main is ‘go to’ shop from my South Carolina home and I am fortunate enough to br there yearly in addition to their great website.
    Best wishes for a peaceful New Year! Jackie