Just  before Christmas, I passed on one of my all time favorite cookie recipe, and the easiest recipe in the cooking world, and yet I messed up on the ingredient list. Maybe I already had too much sugar in my system.  I know how frustrating it is to get a recipe that is wrong and I do sincerely apologize.  It is one thing to pass it on to a friend on one hand written recipe card, but sending it out over the “net” is another.  This is why cookbook authors have test kitchens and editors.

The Cookie Brittle recipe should be….

1 cup room temperature butter

1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup white granulated sugar

2 cups white, all purposed flour

1, 6 ounce package chocolate chips

Cream the butter, vanilla, salt and sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy.  It is best to use a regular stand mixer with the paddle attachment.  Mix in the flour gradually.  Add chocolate chips.

Press into a 15-1/2 x 10-1/2 inch pan.  The original recipe indicates a 15 x 13  pan, but that is an odd size and not very common.  I also like the thickness when it is in the 15-1/2 x 10-1/2 inch pan. When it is put in the larger pan, it is harder to spread out and bakes faster and end product is very  thin and crisp.   The key is to watch it closely while baking so it bakes to a nice golden brown, just like a good chocolate chip cookie.  I do not recommend baking it in a       9 x 13″ pan, however.  It gets too thick and looses the brittle consistency and not soft enough to be a good cookie or bar.  You can tell, I have quite a history with this recipe.

On a brighter note, the holiday weekend was busy and fun with family close by.  When the dust settles, it is nice to sit back and just enjoy being at home before starting the process of putting all the decorations away.   This is also my favorite time to have friends over for a more casual supper or perhaps lunch.   Everyones’s schedule is more open  and It extends the season in a very joyful, relax manner.

My winter garden…I am always amazed at the beauty of how snow and frost collect on trees and branches highlighting the structures of the plants without leaves or flowers.  It is another whole kind of beauty…everything at rest.  Winter has settled in for a bit.

img_0566 img_0567 img_1616 img_0604 img_0611

I took this picture through the window (and screen) the other morning after an evening of steady, slow snow with no wind. This is my view outside my kitchen window over my sink.   I love how the snow piled up on the ends of the birch limbs I have in a large urn out in my side garden.  Even without leaves or colorful flowers, the landscape is often very beautiful.

img_0614

14 Comments on COOKIE RECIPE ALERT

1. Lorene Force
    January 7, 2017 at 1:19 am (11 months ago)

I just found your blog and am so happy to follow you. To you or your readers: I’ve been asked by a dear friend to make a wall hanging from Lake Life. I’ve searched all over the Internet and cannot find the bobber square. Does anyone have that for sale! Thank you!

January 7, 2017 at 1:56 am (11 months ago)

Welcome…check out the back issues of the blog under Archives. I hope you enjoy.

2. Kathy
    December 29, 2016 at 10:36 am (11 months ago)

Hi Lynette,
    I personally am grateful that you take the time to share your recipes. I think most cooks and bakers read through a recipe first and have enough sense to question when something doesn’t seem quite right.
    Your photos are beautiful! I also love a snowfall, it really brightens up the otherwise dull gray landscape. The view out your kitchen window is so pretty, I would find myself looking out it often which I’m sure you do.
    Thank you for taking the time to share with us.
    Kathy
    PS: the cookie brittle is so easy to make and my grandchildren loved it!

December 29, 2016 at 9:24 pm (11 months ago)

Thanks for understanding and I am happy it turned out for you. It is an easy recipe when all the right ingredients are given.

3. Sue
    December 28, 2016 at 6:24 am (11 months ago)

Enjoyed the pictures you posted, textures and radiant color cast by the soft pure snow…I feel a quilt coming on! Thank you.

4. Alison Byron
    December 28, 2016 at 1:36 am (11 months ago)

It is so interesting reading about your snow. Here in Bendigo, Australia we had 38 degrees Celsius for Christmas Day. I still cooked a roast turkey and veg for lunch with the air con going flat out! In the evening when all the family were here we cooked a ham on the Webber and had prawns and salads under ceiling fans and a misting system. We couldn’t be more different. I enjoy the whole festivities , but I certainly enjoy relaxing when everyone goes home and I can have a few days quiet sewing and quilting.
    Best wishes to everyone.
    Alison

December 28, 2016 at 10:43 pm (11 months ago)

Isn’t it fun to know we have hindered spirits across the earth. Thanks for your fun note.

5. Jacquelynn Fife
    December 27, 2016 at 11:58 pm (11 months ago)

Your natural photos of your yard & environ are so lovely. I can see the inspiration for all of your hues, blues, and colors of nature.
    Enjoy a lovely week in your home with family and friends. Happy New Year 2017.

December 28, 2016 at 10:45 pm (11 months ago)

Thanks Jackie. It is always good to know you keep checking in on me and I so enjoy hearing from you and treasure your friendship. See you this fall?

6. Frances Anderson
    December 27, 2016 at 10:45 pm (11 months ago)

I really love all the winter photos! We had just a light dusting on Christmas morning here in Albuquerque, NM. Merry Christmas Lynette!

December 28, 2016 at 10:47 pm (11 months ago)

It really is a pretty time of the year (on most days) here in the north country and always sets us up for real excitement for spring. We are hooked on the dramatic four seasons we enjoy in MN.
      Happy 2017.

7. Norma
    December 27, 2016 at 10:34 pm (11 months ago)

Hi – can you please confirm ingredients for the Scandinavian Almond Bars. It looks like the correction added chocolate chips?

Thanks – these recipes look like ‘keepers’.

December 27, 2016 at 10:52 pm (11 months ago)

The recipe correction I just sent out was for Cookie Brittle not the Scandinavian Almond Bars, right? Just in case, however, here are the ingredients again for the Scandinavian Almond Bars.

1-3/4 c. flour