This is the last week before the big holiday weekend so the last gifts need to be wrapped and delivered and good things must come out of the kitchen soon.  I no longer bake a huge assortment of cookies, but rather make a few all time favorites.  Among them are Cookie Brittle, Scandinavian Almond Bars, Sugar Cookies and at least one batch of homemade chewy Caramels. Click on the photos below for the recipe. Recipes are from my Christmas Cottage book by Landauer Publishing.

Cookie Brittle
Cookie Brittle
Almond bars
Scandinavian Almond Bars
screen-shot-2016-12-17-at-10-59-36-am
Sugar Cookies
img_0620
Caramels

Caramels are now the only candy I make for the holidays.  All others seem to be pale in comparison. I think you can now buy decorative candy wrappers either on line or in specialty kitchen shops. I happen to love the waxed paper approach…so authentically homemade.

HOLIDAY GIFTS

There always seems to be one more person that pops up on your radar that you would like to gift with a little something or perhaps you need a hostess gift.

If you have extra tree ornaments, and who doesn’t, arrange them in a shadow box frame.  It is a quick DIY and so festive and so easy to use.  It can fit anywhere and add a bit of cheer to any space.img_0603

Placemats made from festive fabrics don’t even need piecing,  Just quilt with an over all design and roll up, add a candle and ribbon for a very quick gift that everyone can use.  I painted a simple snowman on black construction paper for the gift tag.

img_0588Make a simple potholder and combine with a tea towel and recipe cards.  I can’t think of anyone who cooks that can’t use all of these items.  The potholder is an extra project included in the WinterScape Project of the Month Program offered by Fons & Porter this month.

img_0535Hope these few recipes and suggestions spark some creative creativity at your house this busy season.

Here are a few more pictures from around my “decked halls”.

img_0597 img_0527 img_0523 img_0520 img_0517 img_0515 img_0508 img_0502 img_0530Happy Holidays to all of you,

My Best,

19 Comments on HOME STRETCH

1. Kathy
    December 20, 2016 at 2:03 pm (9 months ago)

I love your home Lynette! Your choices of furniture, lighting, fabrics, antiques, and all your beautiful accessories are just beautiful! I enjoy seeing every photo you share with us, it gives me such pleasure to see a home so well loved.
    I have to say your cookies and caramel pictures make me want to run into the kitchen right now and start baking! I will be making at least two of the recipes this week. I’ll be happy to say I got them from you!!
    Have a Merry Christmas to you and your family.
    Ps: I still don’t know how you manage to get so much done all year long!!

December 21, 2016 at 7:32 am (9 months ago)

Well, I love doing all this stuff so that makes it easier. Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.
      Thanks,

2. Kristi
    December 19, 2016 at 11:12 pm (9 months ago)

Lynette, I have been a fan of Thimbleberries since you started your company. (I own your first book as well as many others plus patterns and bins full of Thimbleberries fabrics!) I always love to see how you decorate for the holidays. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

3. Ellen Prichard
    December 19, 2016 at 8:08 pm (9 months ago)

Hi Lynette: I think I own all of your books – love your designs and your Christmas decorating! The table runner on your kitchen island – is there a pattern in one of your books? I don’t remember seeing it. Thank you! Merry Christmas!

December 21, 2016 at 7:34 am (9 months ago)

That runner is in the Pine and Rose Cottage project book. I have a few extra here if you are interested in purchasing one ($15). If interested, contact me at lynette@thimbleberries.com.
      Thanks for the lovely comments.

4. Cindi
    December 19, 2016 at 12:48 pm (9 months ago)

Thank you, Lynette, for the recipes and the wonderful pictures of your home decorated for Christmas! I especially love the picture on the wall above the red clock that has the houses and snowmen. Is that print available somewhere for purchase, or did you paint it? Thanks again for sharing!

December 21, 2016 at 7:37 am (9 months ago)

That painting you mentioned was an original water color from Kathy Schimdt. I think she still designs fabric for Moda. I used to buy a lot of her originals when I would see her at Quilt Market. I think she usually sold the originals after she made prints so you might be able to get one from her…worth a try. I don’t have her contact number but perhaps google does, or you could contact Moda with your request. They might be able to help.
      Thanks for your nice comments.

5. Kathy Arnold
    December 19, 2016 at 9:46 am (9 months ago)

Merry Christmas to you and yours. Have a safe and healthy holiday.I love the
    pinecone fabric on the pillows. I wish I could find it where I live.Again Merry
    Christmas!

December 21, 2016 at 7:38 am (9 months ago)

That fabric panel was from Autumn Sunset and I love it too. It is the only one I have from that group. Wish I would have kept more myself.

6. Sheila
    December 19, 2016 at 9:41 am (9 months ago)

Your home is beautiful, thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas!

7. Christina Dean
    December 19, 2016 at 8:34 am (9 months ago)

Merry Christmas to you and thanks for sharing your talents and creativity with us for another year.

8. Gail Katzenmaier
    December 19, 2016 at 6:46 am (9 months ago)

Happy holidays to you and your family also! Thank you for sharing so many wonderful photos of your holiday decorating!

9. Rosanna Flournoy
    December 19, 2016 at 6:42 am (9 months ago)

Beautiful pictures — Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year to you and your family.

10. Barbara Snedegar
    December 19, 2016 at 5:43 am (9 months ago)

Your home looks beautiful! So warm and inviting. The bells over the door remind me of my grandmother. I need to add some to my decorations. Love the potholder. I’ll have to check it out. And the cookies sound divine!! Thank you for sharing!!

December 19, 2016 at 7:09 am (9 months ago)

I am happy you noticed the bells. They are a vintage holiday decoration from a small family department store once a thriving mainstay of our little town’s mainstream in the thirties. When they closed in the late seventies, I was able to purchase a few items at their auction, and I fell in love with the bells.

11. Fay Anguzza
    December 19, 2016 at 5:30 am (9 months ago)

Hi Lynette, My name is Fay Anguzza and I used to work with Judy Jensen from Louisiana. It’s been a lloonngg time since I have sewn, but, my closet is over flowing with quilts made with Thimbleberries fabrics. I was lucky enough to have been to your home with Judy and a group of friends from California and Lousiana. You were such a gracious hostess! You invited us into your home and to your cabin by the lake. I have just finished a “Mini Tuffet” that has some of your “Orchard Cloth” line. While we were visiting you I got a wooden crochet hoop that was made by L. Baysinger (I still have it). I would love to send you a picture of my mini tuffet. It looks beautiful. Take care, Fay

December 19, 2016 at 7:13 am (9 months ago)

I remember your group fondly. We had a great time, didn’t we. I am still using the sugar pinecones a gal sent me from California. Send me your pictures to lynette@thimbleberries.com. Have a happy holiday season. Thanks for getting in touch again.

12. Lynda Nelson Arduser
    December 19, 2016 at 5:14 am (9 months ago)

Merry Christmas to u also. Beautiful home and decorating.