It seems like I spend a lot of my time getting ready for holidays and events and then cleaning up and putting things away to make way for the next big deal.  Well, that is exactly what is going on now.  We have had a spectacular fall season, enjoying beautiful weather and even more beautiful fall color.  Now it is time to get the yard and garden cleaned up and “put to bed” for the winter and start thinking about decorating outdoors for the winter months.  It is so great to have mild temperatures and sunny days for the task at hand.

Today, I am going to take care of the final yard work at the cabin.  That usually doesn’t get done because the weather turns cold and it is the last thing on my list so I conveniently put it off to do in the spring.  However, I love nothing more than a clean yard ready to pop as soon as the weather is nice, so fall clean up should be a must for me.  The lake will be quiet and that beautiful shade of blue that Minnesota lakes are known for this late in the year.img_0450img_0457

img_0455Speaking of getting ready, this is when I start planning decorations and collecting recipes for Thanksgiving.  I like to have harvest items incorporated with winter greens for Thanksgiving serving as a transition between the two seasons and keeping Christmas items “at bay” until after Thanksgiving.

For my dining room table I have bundled some small birch logs into a pyramid and tucked in artificial leaves and real bittersweet branches.  It will easily transform into a Christmas arrangement by just changing out the leaves and  orange berries with greenery and red berry sprigs. I like the fact that it is low and can easily be looked over making conversation with guests across the table comfortable.  I am hosting a birthday party next week for a group of friends and it will  be a perfect pre-holiday table decor.img_0447img_0448

Here is a recipe I am planning on using this season.  My family really does like all the traditional favorites that they associate with the holidays, but I always try to introduce something new each year that may just have a chance at becoming a new favorite that I can add to my traditional menu.  Everyone in my family likes Brussels sprouts…I know…kind of strange.  I think they are really going to like this salad.  I will do a trial run, perhaps for the birthday dinner coming up next week.

screen-shot-2016-11-05-at-7-56-34-amLemony Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad

7 Comments on GETTING READY

1. Cj Kenney
    November 15, 2016 at 11:06 am (3 years ago)

I am a fairly new quilter and have inherited a partial 2008 Lodge Quilt without directions. Is it possible to purchase instructions?

November 18, 2016 at 4:34 am (3 years ago)

Hello,
      That was along time ago. I don’t have any of those instructions available. I think you will have to add the fabric to your stash and make something else from the lovely fabrics.

• Jacquelynn Fife
      November 18, 2016 at 5:10 am (3 years ago)

The Lodge directions are on ebay, CJ Kenney.

November 18, 2016 at 5:28 am (3 years ago)

Thanks Jackie…I should have known you would be on top of this problem.
        Thanks,

2. Jacquelynn Fife
    November 6, 2016 at 7:07 pm (3 years ago)

Happy Thanksgiving season, Lynette! The lake is pristine & a delightful blue….seen in your fabrics! We love your blues!
    Enjoy the shaved brussel sprouts. So delicious.
    SC Jackie

November 14, 2016 at 8:22 am (3 years ago)

I know, the colors were terrific that day. Still like that here now. It has been quite the fall here.

3. JoAnn Brethouwer
    November 6, 2016 at 12:39 pm (3 years ago)

Your table looks so inviting Lynette, you have a real flair for decorating to the smallest of details. The bittersweet looks like it was waiting for those birch logs to be placed and made ready just for them.
    The fiery red from those burning bushes is the show stopper next to your arbor, and the lake view has a serenity feel about it. You are so lucky to have this cabin to go to, to unwind with pleasureable work.
    I happened to find some cherished vintage Thimbleberries fabric in my stash while I was looking for the perfect fabrics to make a Thanksgiving table mat. My sewing room isn’t like most peoples, my fabrics are not on “display” to admire. I keep my fabric yardage folded and stored in 2 gallon sized zipper food bags. I don’t like to vacuum “dust” my fabrics. I store them this way because a year can pass before I’ll come across the desire to use them again. I’m going to make my quilt from a pattern you designed. It’s a 4 block log cabin with a wool/felt appliqué in the center. The warm autumn colors you’ve designed over the years will be perfect. I need to remember to take pictures of it when I’m finished.
    Oh … and I intend to try your Brussel Sprouts recipe, I’ve never tasted Brussel Sprouts and your combination of greens with the dressing sounds really good.
    Thank you for your inspiration Lynette, and for being brave enough to share. You open yourself to criticism, but your talent chases off any negative comments someone might have.