As I look around our house, I notice I have a lot of what I call “found artwork”.  That is, items I have made or others have made that I framed and use as accessories in my decorating. They always make a space really personal and in many cases bring back very fond memories of people from my past.  Very often, I am able to find ready made frames from Target or art stores that serve the purpose very economically.  Other items, merit using a  professional framer. Even the vintage suitcase has been relined with one of my fabrics and I often use it as a display piece, both open and shut and always for storage.  I generally keep my “found art” in the suitcase when not displayed.img_0180

Two items that I did a few years back involved scrap book paper, Modge Podge, clay board and an office clip to have decorative mounting boards for snapshots of Taylor and Ella.  At the time, Taylor was really into Teenage Ninja Turtles, so I cut out images from a little book from the grocery store and made a collage of the popular group.  I then glued on old-fashioned office clip and clipped a favorite picture of Taylor in his Teenage Ninja pajamas.  The clay boards can stand on their own, or be displayed on a small easel, or hung.

img_0168For Ella, I picked papers that were definitely little girl in nature and picked the bird print because that was one of her first words.  I glued the row of bows along the top edge because her mom always had a bow in her hair, even at a very early age.

img_0167Both picture display boards have found their home in their rooms at our house.  Great thing about these…no glass to break as they handle them and move them around their rooms.  I often find them in the playroom.  You can see a glimpse of a bow in Ella’s ponytail.img_0194img_0189           Long ago, I found a quilt block in my grandmother’s things when she passed away and had it framed for my sewing room.  She was a very early influence on the things I love to do and it is  a nice reminder of her talents.  The basket block is from a quilt made for my husband’s parent’s wedding.  It was the only handmade quilt they had as a family and it was well worn.  I was able to selvage 4 blocks from it for all four of the children in his family.img_0185

The toy horse tree ornament is a favorite handmade ornament that I made 25 years ago.  I also have it in my sewing room displayed with a favorite baby toy from each of my children. The giraffe was my son’s and the rattle was my daughter’s.  They share a shelf with a unique antique rabbit puzzle.img_0187img_0170

The lion artwork is a piece I saved from my daughter’s 2nd grade in elementary school. It is now hung in Taylor’s room at grandma and bapa’s house.   It is perfect for this space above his bed.

img_0191I made this piece of artwork using two Dutch Boy paint chip cards.  They have large color cards that combine coordinating colors as suggestions for the home decorator.  I often cut out animal images while playing at the “art table” with Taylor and Ella and this shape was a favorite.  I traced it onto one of the color cards and carefully lined up the stripes on the background piece.  Because the color cards displayed different colors the animal shape pops out.  It now hangs above the blue folding kids chair on Taylor’s bedroom wall.

img_0192The crazy quilt picture was a Christmas gift from a co-worker.  It is a piece from a quilt her grandmother made well over 100 years ago.  My co-worker lost her battle to cancer a year ago and this too hangs in my sewing room and I think of her every time I walk into the room.

img_0186Lastly, I even find things in magazines that are flammable…this was a picture used in an ad.  I loved the graphic wood cut look it has and use it during Halloween.  It just looks like a Halloween night to me.

img_0178These are all of little value to others but priceless to me.

11 Comments on FOUND ARTWORK

1. JoAnn Brethouwer
    October 5, 2016 at 7:22 am (2 years ago)

Lynette when I saw the framed quilts I sighed. I can definitely see where the quilting designer gene came from. Your grandmother had an eye for fabric color placement. The appliqued flower basket looks lovely, and the primitive blues and brown plaid evenweaves are a delight. Thank you for sharing your home and garden photos. Your flair for design is evident in just about everything you put your hand to.

2. Mary Ann Darby
    September 15, 2016 at 9:21 pm (2 years ago)

The treasures of life can sometimes be just simple things that don’t mean a lot to others but mean a great deal to you. I love the simplicity of it! This type of decorating makes a home more interesting because there is always a story behind it. Thanks for sharing.

3. Frances Anderson
    September 14, 2016 at 9:57 am (2 years ago)

I really enjoy your pictures, just wish they didn’t appear sideways. Thank you for sharing!

September 14, 2016 at 10:20 am (2 years ago)

I know…that is irritating. They appear correctly on my draft page and I think they are okay on most PC’s and laptops but seem to flip on IPads and phones. Iv’e checked into it and no one has an answer for me.

4. Kathy McLaughlin
    September 12, 2016 at 9:33 pm (2 years ago)

These are the things of our lives to be remember and are what makes a house a home. It is the soul of the family. Lovely

5. Susi Mccarthy
    September 12, 2016 at 9:22 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you for sharing- it has given me ideas. Both my grandmother and mother were sewers, crafters and quilters, I have found some snippets of unfinished works and have save them for many years. I am going to pull them out and put them on display….what a great idea! Have a blessed day!

6. Norma
    September 12, 2016 at 8:30 pm (2 years ago)

I so enjoy all the small pictures of your quilt touches whether it be in your garden or home. Quilting gives one an eye for color and arrangements that is so useful in home decor. Thank you!

7. Grace
    September 12, 2016 at 8:37 am (2 years ago)

While I have some valuable family heirlooms, it really is the things that touch our hearts that make them priceless. A pink gingham dress my grandmother made for me, and the pink sweater my mother knit to match it. My brother’s clip-on bow ties, cowboy gun, & Casper the friendly ghost talking doll. Probably not worth $100.00, though treasures to me.

8. Kathy
    September 12, 2016 at 7:41 am (2 years ago)

Hi again Lynette, I left the phone for a minute to take some cookies out of the oven and my comment was sent before I finished.
    As I was saying, I also have one of my student’s artwork hanging in one of my workrooms. She has long since passed away, but I think of Cecil everyday when I go into that room.
    I enjoyed this post very much, I especially love the painting your daughter did in second grade. She painted the lion as only a child can do, it deserves to be framed and seen daily. She is also very talented! It’s a wonderful reminder of when your children were young.

I can’t imagine living in a house with all those “clean lines” that so many people seem to favor these days. I know your house has so many beautiful treasures. These pieces of artwork you showed us today, your quilts, and all the other wonderful things that you have collected over the years is what makes your house a home and not just a house that you live in.

9. Kathy
    September 12, 2016 at 7:23 am (2 years ago)

Hi Lynette,
    I love every single thing that you have saved and framed or the artwork you made. I also have framed pages from magazines, and I have a small painting that one of my student’s did for practice on watercolor paper. It is also framed in hanging one of my work rooms.

10. Rosanna Flournoy
    September 12, 2016 at 5:30 am (2 years ago)

So many beautiful, creative ideas — thank you for posting.