We have had our share of wild storms this summer.  The rain we get seems to be combined with high winds and hail making yard work and gardening a challenge.  This week, one of our 80 foot trees took a hit and did a little damage to a few fence sections.  Clean up took care of anything else I had planned to get done this week.  As always, property damage is a pain, but it could have been so much more worse.

IMG_1942 IMG_1946 IMG_1943 IMG_1942 IMG_1941

Other parts of the garden are now coming into the late summer bloom time.  The wind flattened some plants and grasses, but they will probably recover.   This is what is blooming now.  The next phase will involve fewer blooms, but the foliage will start to change adding another color profile to the garden.

IMG_1949 IMG_1950 IMG_1951 IMG_1952My September Project of the Month offered by Fons and Porter Love of Quilting is this delightful  Kaleidoscope Runner with a bonus scrap project for pillow shams.  The runner  reminds me of the simple kaleidoscope toy that has charmed children forever…shards  of color falling into place.  It is a generous runner and a snap to make.  Patterns and kits for all 12 months projects are available from Fons and Porter Love of Quilting.

IMG_1947

14 Comments on SUMMER STORMS

1. Martha Wells
    August 23, 2016 at 1:04 am (2 years ago)

The runner is beautiful! I look forward to using my Garden Charm scraps this fall.
    All your 2016 fabric collections are beautiful, but the Garden Collage has stunning color combinations! I plan to do a fall quilt from it, perhaps the Cottage Flower pattern. I am so thankful for your fabric and quilt designing talents!

2. Ruth Wildermuth
    August 14, 2016 at 10:02 pm (2 years ago)

What a beautiful garden. I don’t have a garden anymore. What fun I always had. I am sure this is a big pleasure for you. Thanks for all you do for the quilting world.

August 20, 2016 at 8:52 am (2 years ago)

As you well know gardening can be so enjoyable and yet so frustrating when the weather doesn’t cooperate. However, each day when I am back out “tending” I realize how much I like it. I especially love the early morning hours spent outside when the air is cool and fresh and all the plants look their best.

3. gardener2
    August 11, 2016 at 3:21 am (2 years ago)

I am sorry for the damage to your garden. You work very hard to make it just right. I live quite a bit south of you. I am so surprised to see hydrangeas, daylily, Joe Pye, and rudbeckia blooming at the same time. Even more surprising is that our rudbeckia are blooming at the same time as yours!

August 20, 2016 at 8:56 am (2 years ago)

Everything seems to be about two weeks ahead of normal this year. I hope that doesn’t mean an early frost.
      We are hosting a garden wedding in our yard this year and would love for the frost to stay away until Oct like usual.

4. Frances Anderson
    August 10, 2016 at 10:18 pm (2 years ago)

So sorry the weather was against you, but your garden is still gorgeous! Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos!

5. Susan Webb
    August 9, 2016 at 1:55 am (2 years ago)

What a mess! So glad it didn’t hit your house or other buildings. Was it a shaggy bark hickory? I’m also looking to plant a white hydrangea in our yard; our son is getting married this month and I would loved to have used some flowers from out garden. No hydrangeas though; may I ask what type it is? We may have another wedding and I’d like it in my yard. I am doing the wedding bokays, boots and corsages along with 60 centerpieces. Hydrangeas are beautiful in weddings, don’t you think? I’m trying to finish up a quilt for our son to- gotta go. Loved your summer table runner and hope to make one soon.

August 20, 2016 at 9:06 am (2 years ago)

My favorite hydrangea is both the Limelight (regular) and the mini Limelight. It has beautiful blooms and sturdy stems and seems to hold up the best in wind and rain. My other favorite is Quick Fire. It gets really big (6-8 feet) and the blooms are airy and turn a great pink/rust color in the fall. It too, is very sturdy. We are hosting our son’s Grooms’ Dinner and wedding in September in our garden, so I am counting on my hydrangeas to really shine at that time of the year. Hope your wedding goes well.

6. Mary Ann Darby
    August 8, 2016 at 6:57 pm (2 years ago)

Sorry about the damage to your fence. It appears it was a fierce storm. We have been fortunate here in Tennessee as far as severe weather, however it has been very hot and the gardens are starving for water.

I love the table runner using the scrap material. It looks like the same material I have left over from the block of the month kit I just finished from Craftsy. I think I’ll make a table runner also.

I would like to say I enjoy your blog posts. You,re very talented and it is obvious you enjoy your work.

August 20, 2016 at 9:20 am (2 years ago)

No shortage of rain here. Last week we got 7 ” in one day, and 2 inches yesterday and it is raining again now.
      So,the gardens are green, green, green. The challenge is they plants get flattened down a bit when the blooms are heavy and it is hard for them to pop back up. I did use a lot of the same fabric in the runner as I did in the Garden Charm quilt. It has been so hot today that I gardened from 5-7 AM when it was cool and then stayed in all day in my sewing room. It always needs cleaning and I bound three quilts, made a runner and worked a bit on the quilt I am making with my grandson. I love days when I can spend the whole day there and get so much accomplished.

7. Jacquelynn
    August 8, 2016 at 5:32 am (2 years ago)

Glad you & uour home are safe!

August 20, 2016 at 9:22 am (2 years ago)

We are. I could have been so much more serious. See you soon.

8. Geri A
    August 7, 2016 at 11:53 pm (2 years ago)

I am also in MN – Top northwest corner. Lousy, continuing storms up here, too!! Very sick of rain and humidity and mosquitoes and storms. Our sump runs continuously. When it rains, I sew. Usually, in the summer, I enjoy being outside, but this summer has been trying. My zinnias are enjoying the heat, but everything else is really stressed.

August 20, 2016 at 9:26 am (2 years ago)

Stressed is a good way to put it…both for the plants and the gardener. Today was so hot and humid again.
      I go out early from 5-7 and then back in for the day and headed for the sewing room again. I love spending the whole day there and love getting so much done. I made a scrap runner, worked on the quilt I am making with my grandson, and got binding on three quilts. It was a good day in the sewing room.