As you probably have noticed,  I took a few weeks off  of writing my blog to spend some time with visiting family.  I always intended to get back to my computer at the end of each day to get back in touch with you, but after cleaning up from the days activities,  getting food ready for a crowd the next day, not to mention…garden duty, I would head off to bed and another day would go by without a blog post.

We are in the middle of an extreme heat and humidity event here in MN this week so after I go outside at sunrise to water my flower pots and do the daily maintenance the yard requires, I go back inside for the day. I treat this kind of a day as “summer blizzard”.  Yesterday, I spent the remainder of the day in my sewing room which is on the lower level of the house and even cooler.   It was a wonderful day.  I didn’t get one thing completed but did lots of sorting, organizing and cleaning and started to accumulate fabrics for 3 projects.  I can’t wait to go down today and get started by sewing the binding on two quilts so I have hand work for tonight.  It sounds like a “blizzard” is forecast for the remainder of the week.

I am in the middle of working on a new book for Landauer Publishing.  I have published many books with them over the years, many of which had a lifestyle bent to them as well as quilting projects.  This one is going to be a little different.  It will feature traditional quilt designs udsing traditional quilt blocks with my fabrics and the same quilt blocks made from the modern fabrics from Cotton+Steel, a division of RJR Fabrics.  I am convinced a good quilt design works for both and the most important thing for any quilter, new or experienced, is that the instructions be clear and well written.  Thimbleberries has always set the standard for excellent instructions, and this book will be no exception.   It has been a lot of fun reworking my designs to showcase a new look.  My home is still firmly planted in the traditional “lane”, but the quilt world is big and there is room for all color and fabric preferences.  The modern ones are so different that in some cases it it had to believe the basic quilt block is the same.  I am on my way this morning to pick up two of them.  I can’t wait to see them quilted and bound.  I always consider binding like whipped cream and a cherry on a dessert.  Here is a glimpse of a few I have completed with traditional fabrics.

IMG_1897 IMG_1893 IMG_1891Here’s what is blooming in my garden this month. Some of the perennial blooms come and go quite quickly.   Mid July often has the most color in my garden and it is the toughest to keep looking good….lot of dead heading and trimming to do as well as the ever present weed management. That does drop off a bit though as the plants get larger.  However, daily watering is required when it is this hot the plants get big.    I plant a few pots of Coleus that I can move around the garden areas to add color where needed. The add a lot of color and do not need deadheading except for the rare tiny blossom now and then.   It helps bridge the gap between blooming times of various perennials and bushes.

2016-07-21 08.45.09 2016-07-21 08.45.25 2016-07-21 08.46.27 2016-07-21 08.47.41

IMG_1245IMG_1243IMG_1241IMG_1239IMG_0996IMG_0843IMG_0819IMG_0732IMG_0401IMG_0395IMG_0393Here is a view from my sewing room last winter when a real blizzard was in the forecast.  I guess my sewing room is where I head to on those days that I should just stay inside.  Stay cool.

IMG_1174

22 Comments on TIME OFF

1. Mary Richardson
    December 20, 2017 at 9:32 am (1 year ago)

I am searching for the directions for the 2005 quilt club sunrise and sunset quilts. I have all of the fabrics, and have the sunset blocks pieced, but have no idea where to go from here.

January 10, 2018 at 4:05 am (1 year ago)

Hopefully someone can help out. I don’t have extras from that long ago.

2. Susan Webb
    August 9, 2016 at 2:03 am (2 years ago)

An eagerly awaited new book from YOU! Great! I’ll be looking forward to it and hope I can find it somewhere online. I love the heat and humidity of summer and your garden celebrates it in spades. Thanks for sharing

August 20, 2016 at 9:01 am (2 years ago)

I think the way the publishing world goes, the book will be available early 2017. It is going to be published by Landauer Corp. I will certainly update everyone when it has arrived. You will be able to order directly from them or hopefully your local quilt shop will carry it. It has been fun working on a book again.

3. Joan Conn
    July 27, 2016 at 1:05 am (2 years ago)

What are the names of the patterns for the 3 quilts above? What book are the patterns in?

July 27, 2016 at 4:41 am (2 years ago)

Hi Joan,
      I am just now getting some of the quilts for a book coming out later this year or at the beginning of next.
      The quilts have not yet been named and I haven’t heard from the publisher about the release date. I will keep you all posted as we go along and get more information.
      Thanks for your interest.

4. Frances Anderson
    July 26, 2016 at 5:02 am (2 years ago)

I’m so happy to hear you’re publishing another book! I will look out for it! Thanks for sharing all these beautiful photos!

5. Marilyn Aufderheide
    July 24, 2016 at 6:49 am (2 years ago)

I love your blog, I could really identify with the weather when I lived in Alaska, now in South Carolina but still have Party Mix, I think that may be the name of pattern, done in flannel on my bed, crazy uh? Guess that is air conditioning making it possible.

6. Lynda Branham
    July 24, 2016 at 2:54 am (2 years ago)

I love reading your blogs. I started out as a new quilter with one of your patterns many years ago and have been a loyal fan ever since. Love the pictures of your flowers! Can’t wait for the new book. So exciting.

7. renee gransden
    July 24, 2016 at 2:01 am (2 years ago)

I have collected your patterns and have made several over the years. I lost all my sewing supplies in a wildfire last year. Was happy to see your blog so I could begin again. How do you do everything, sew, keep house, and Garden? Looking forward to your new book. I have been able to pick up some books by you on the Internet.

8. Jacquelynn Fife
    July 24, 2016 at 1:06 am (2 years ago)

Hi Lynette,
    Love these quilts & look forward to Cotton & Steel quilts. Your flowers & coleus are tremendous, as always.
    I am doing SC blizzard sewing today, too. Finishing the gift boxes for Hometown Christmas.
    Looking forward to seeimg you in Sept.
    Jackie in SC

July 27, 2016 at 4:42 am (2 years ago)

Our time together is rapidly approaching. See you soon.

9. Delphine Morrow
    July 23, 2016 at 11:38 pm (2 years ago)

I love seeing all your beautiful flowers, especially the orange and deep red (maroon) coleous. I need to find some of those plants in our area. I am so glad you are back creating such beautiful fabric and patterns.

10. Gail Katzenmaier
    July 23, 2016 at 7:42 pm (2 years ago)

What a beautiful treat for the eyes this morning! Quilts and flowers both blooming! Thank you for sharing your talents with us!

11. Michele Stenson
    July 23, 2016 at 7:36 pm (2 years ago)

Happy summer 2016! As a quilt shop owner I welcome the heat and humidity it brings students and customers back into the quilt shop for lessons and inspiration! We love your new lines of RJR fabrics, we are so happy your back designing. AND to hear your back pattern writing, well it’s the best news ever! We do carry some COTTON+STEEL in the shop and will more than welcome your new book of quilt designs featuring this fabric. Will the patterns for the quilts pictured in this blog be available in the new book or on a website or as separate patterns? We want all THIMBLEBERRIES available! Thanks for all you do for quilt shops and quilters! Take Care, Michele

July 27, 2016 at 4:44 am (2 years ago)

I will be showing a lot of quilts at fall market, both from the new book and the new Block of the Month quilt I have designed. Are you going to be there? I would be fun to meet up with you.

• Michele Stenson
        August 8, 2016 at 12:11 am (2 years ago)

Oh boy, I’ve been trying to fit fall market into my schedule but it’s not looking good for attending this year. Our business travel schedules have us out of the store a lot this summer and fall. Who knew there would be so much travel involved in the fabric and sewing machine business. If I can attend I will be sure and let you know. I would love to meet you face-to-face. Take care, Michele

August 20, 2016 at 9:23 am (2 years ago)

Maybe another market. Have a good fall season.

12. Donna
    July 23, 2016 at 5:47 pm (2 years ago)

I love the traditional fabrics and patterns! Their beautiful Lynette! Your quilts are always filled with comfort!
    And thank you for the term “summer blizzard”!! I’ve been relating this hot, hot weather to snow days….when I didn’t want to go out it in but loved being inside so I could spend the time quilting! Perfect!
    I’m looking forward to your newest book.
    Thank you for sharing your passion!

13. Cindi H.
    July 23, 2016 at 11:34 am (2 years ago)

A new book!!!! Yay!!! I’ll be first in line to buy it! When will it be released? I love the sneak peak quilts you showed. They are all fabulous!! Glad you had a nice vacation. Good to have you back. Your garden is fabulous, too! Now if I can be patient until the book is available!! 🙂

July 27, 2016 at 4:45 am (2 years ago)

I will keep you posted on the details. We are still a ways away from having all the samples done, and I don’t yet have a release date from the publisher. That will be coming shortly.

14. Sharon McCrosky
    July 23, 2016 at 11:15 am (2 years ago)

I have purchase many of your quilt books and refer to them frequently. I try to quilt everyday and always look forward to a new challenge. I am eager to improve of my machine quilting and thank you for all your incites on designs for quilt motifs and stencils.
    QuiltDaily, Sharon