I had a full notebook sheet of items on my “to do” list for this past weekend, which also included Friday night, Saturday, Sunday and Monday visits to the cabin.  Getting food ready for a group is always on the weekend agenda.  For Saturday brunch I prepared a make ahead potato egg bake which is always a great thing to have ready to put in the oven.  I can make it at home and it travels well to the cabin.  This time I changed up the recipe by using Italian sausage rather than the usual breakfast sausage blend and served it with warm Marinara sauce.  That with some fresh fruit and cornbread muffins, got everyone on their way for the day.

ITALIAN SAUSAGE HASH BROWN CASSEROLE recipe

2016-05-27 13.13.12

Also on my “to do” list was to finish planting and getting some new mulch laid in the garden.  A few weeks ago, we had a very late frost three nights in one week.  Even though I covered what I needed to with bed sheets upon bed sheets, some of the very tender plants did not survive.  So I had some replanting to do.

Here is a quick glimpse of what is blooming in my yard this weekend.  These blooms are always the first out and so rewarding to see after the long winter and spring clean up. The plants will show their splendor on a weekly basis, blooming throughout the summer.  The garden changes every day.  That is the joy and the challenge.  The garden house garden is the first thing I see from my deck in the morning.  I love how the sun makes the birch tree leaves light up.  The purple Iris with the variegated leaves are early bloomers.  The blooms are modest but I grow them because of the pretty leaves that add interest to the garden all summer.   I couldn’t resist snapping a shot of the Hosta with all of the lovely dew drops.  And, my favorite new Hosta this year is the 2016 Host of the Year…Curly Fries.  It is a charmer.  I planted it in a pot arrangement this year to raise it up a bit.  When it is larger this fall,   I’ll put it in the ground for its permanent home.  It is small and I thought it deserved a bit of a babying and its first year.  I have planted a ten foot row of staggered Creamy White Marigolds around my back patio.  They are in front of a row of short Blue Stem grasses and when they are all filled out will be a nice contrast in both color and leaf shape.  These look quite yellow here but are very soft , creamy yellow.  The last two pictures are of my two different Weigela shrub varieties that I use in a number of spots around the yard.  The blooms are lovely in the spring and I like the leaf color and shape of both all summer, even when not in bloom.  Tomorrow, something else will be ready to pop.  My Peony hedge is on the verge….can’t wait for those plants to blossom out.  They make the whole east side of the house smell so good.

2016-05-29 08.49.00 2016-05-29 08.50.12 2016-05-29 08.50.42 2016-05-29 08.51.10 2016-05-29 08.52.20 2016-05-29 08.53.332016-05-29 08.51.31As usual, sewing is always on the list of things “to do”.  I had two quilts that needed binding and one runner to finish.  I save that kind of handwork for after gardening is done.  It’s a good way to relax, and rest up a bit.  I can share the runner with you now.  The other two quilts I will have to save for later when the patterns and kits will be available.

The Ricky Racky Runner is made from my new Autumn Landscape fabric collection which will be arriving soon, if not already, in you local quilt store.  I am in love with the prints and colors, especially the large floral print. This particular color way is yummy.  It’s always a great starting point when putting together fabric for a project.  Notice how the design focuses the attention inwards to the lovely floral center.  It’s a quick project.  You are going to love making it in any fabric collection. The pattern for the runner is also on rjrfabrics.com as a FREE download. Look for the Ricky Racky Runner.

2016-05-30 09.52.02

13 Comments on BUSY WEEKEND

1. Fran Griffin
    June 1, 2016 at 9:36 am (3 years ago)

Your floral pictures are beautiful. Like your table runner also.

June 1, 2016 at 10:21 am (3 years ago)

The blossoms are starting to pop, just like the blooms on the runner.

2. Christine
    June 1, 2016 at 9:21 am (3 years ago)

Hi, Lynette. My LQS owner is wondering if “Campfire Flannel Throw” is available currently.s

June 1, 2016 at 10:22 am (3 years ago)

Sorry, that pattern has long been sold out.

3. Debra Wortman
    May 31, 2016 at 11:19 pm (3 years ago)

Beautiful garden, Lynette. I downloaded the pattern for the runner, and I will star to assemble my fabrics. Thank you!

4. Sandy Fife Moore
    May 31, 2016 at 9:47 pm (3 years ago)

5. Crystal
    May 31, 2016 at 9:43 pm (3 years ago)

Wow, I so envy you your green thumb…such a beautiful garden!!! My thumb is mostly brown with a slight, very slight green tip….lol The recipe sounds yummy and something my family would like. Thanks for the recipe and the free pattern. I have a whole slew of your books and patterns and love them all…maybe one day I’ll get a bunch done, my to do list seems to be extremely long…lol

June 1, 2016 at 1:53 am (3 years ago)

Thanks for the note. I am glad you enjoy all of my activities. They seem to never change…house, kitchen, garden and the sewing room. They do keep me busy and “off the streets” as we always say.

6. Sandy Fife Moore
    May 31, 2016 at 9:40 pm (3 years ago)

Beautiful, Lynette! So enjoy your posts and photos. Jackie and I are looking forward to seeing you again in October in Hutch. My weekend was filled with the same to do list items as yours with family Memorial Day Celebrations here at my home in SC. I have been helping my Daughter, Abigail (the quilter), with gardening in her yard as well as my own! Take care and love the new pattern and fabrics, too!! Sandy Fife Moore

7. Phyllis
    May 31, 2016 at 8:45 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you for the table runner pattern. We worked in the garden all weekend this will be a perfect project for a quiet Tuesday. Glad you are back.!

May 31, 2016 at 9:32 pm (3 years ago)

I think you are going to enjoy making the runner…little time needed for big impact. Email me a picture of yours when done. I would love to see it.
      lynette@thimbleberries.com.