2016-05-07 12.41.08Last week, when I took these pictures of the blossoming trees in my yard, we were having warm, sunny, spring weather.  I was busy planting annuals in the garden and in my many pots around the yard.  In a few days, the weather turned on us and it has been rainy and downright cold.  I am actually going to have to cover my planted areas and pots this weekend to try to protect the new plants from frost. This is way too late in the season to worry about frost, but it is happening and there is nothing I can do about it except hope my efforts will save the plants.  I think we go through this every year and I never learn my lesson.  But generally, we can plant after Mother’s Day.  Just not this year, I guess.  This weather actually puts me in the mood for flannel quilts.  We are certainly still reaching for them this week at our house.

2016-05-07 12.44.412016-05-07 12.44.16So, it is back to the sewing room while I wait for nicer weather.  A dear friend of mine is about to move into a new home and is finding items deep in the closets that need to be addressed.  She found a Thimbleberries kit for a flannel quilt from the late eighties.  I was at her house when she found it.  I  took it off her hands to get it made so she can enjoy it in her new home   in front of her new fireplace.  The quilt is Fireside Cozy. It was a very popular quilt design and I am sure many of you made it.

2016-05-15 12.53.29We are still using the original two I made.  It’s the perfect size for curling up on the couch for a little TV watching or nap.  Flannel quilts are the best for overall family use. Everyone loves them…just as they love well worn flannel shirts.  The designs are generally simple and piecing is easy.  Quilters often categorize quilts as “users” or “keepers”.  Flannel quilts definitely fall into the” user” category.  I really have to dig out my flannel stash and make a few more. Everyone grabs the flannel quilt first and there just aren’t enough to go around when everyone is home for the weekend.  This pattern is no longer available but I have included a great flannel quilt design in this post.  It is a quick and easy quit to make…that goes for any fabric, flannel and otherwise.

Here are some general hints when sewing with flannel and a FREE PATTERN for a flannel quilt called Block City for those cool spring evenings.

SEWING WITH FLANNEL Sewing with Flannel

Block CityBLOCK CITY

8 Comments on SPRING IS POPPING

1. Martha Wels
    May 20, 2016 at 9:54 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks for the pattern and information on working with flannel!

2. Frances Anderson
    May 19, 2016 at 8:09 pm (3 years ago)

Beautiful pics! Thanks for sharing the pattern too!

3. Susan
    May 19, 2016 at 3:13 am (3 years ago)

The past months I’ve been working on a flannel king/queen sized quilt. The borders are spectacular but working with flannel IS different. Thanks for the tips. I’ve been using a lot of spray starch to try to control the flannel a bit. Wish it was ready to snuggle under as we had frost last weekend and snow all day last Sunday. Blah.. hoping your spring has arrived.

4. Margo
    May 16, 2016 at 1:02 pm (3 years ago)

I’m so glad I found your blog. I’m a very new quilters when I first came upon your books. I admired them so much and still have them to this day. I love looking at them even though I didn’t make any quilts because my sewing wasn’t up to the challenge. I was sadden when I heard that you closed your business. I adore your fabric and your designs. I’m so glad that you have a blog.

5. Phyllis
    May 16, 2016 at 3:17 am (3 years ago)

Thank you for the great pattern. It is cold and rainy here today and a flannel would be perfect. My annuals seen to be all right so I will leave the alone. Ah, Spring!! It always keeps us on our toes.

May 24, 2016 at 10:16 am (3 years ago)

Well many of my new plants didn’t make it through the three nights of frost, so there was some serious replanting to do this last week. Spring for us is always a challenge…some days really hot and then very cold. You are right, spring does keep us on our toes.

6. Kathryn
    May 16, 2016 at 3:10 am (3 years ago)

This post makes me smile as only yesterday I had that book out. I have decided to make West Wind Throw from Easy Living Quilts instead for a dear friend of ours who shared with us he has prostate cancer. Both books are wonderful.

May 24, 2016 at 10:16 am (3 years ago)

Good patterns are just that…good forever.