Neil and I have just returned from a very short vacation (4 days) in Arizona.  We have dear friends, Muffy and Dave Tiede. who spend a few months away from the Minnesota winters in a lovely home in the sun.  These are friends who we lived next door to when Neil was attending the University of Minnesota Law School and these were the friends we were the closest to when our children were babies.  We spent a lot of time together…both kids and adults.  We have just recently connected (40 years later) after both leading very busy professional and personal lives in separate cities.   We spent 4 days just catching up and it was as if we hadn’t spent 40 years apart in different locations.  What a joy it was to have unlimited time to talk and laugh.  I now realize how much influence they had on our lives.  They were a very strong role model as a couple and as a family.

Like others who live in Arizona, they have fruit trees in their yard and we took full advantage of their produce daily.  I couldn’t help but take a picture of her harvest one morning.  This arrangement didn’t last long as we dug in immediately for that morning’s breakfast.  Good news, there were more to come each day.

IMG_1657There is nothing that is more pleasing to me and surprising than to walk into room that will be mine for a few days to discover Thimbleberries quilts on the bed.  Muffy made these quilts a number of years ago and I had forgotten how charming this pattern was.    She used them exactly as intended…on twin beds so they kind of match but not exactly.  The same fabrics are used but the positions are flipped to make them uniquely their own, yet very compatible when used together. I’ve decided to make one using just scraps.  It’s a perfect pattern for using up bits and pieces and that is just what I have left from past fabric groups that I think will really blend well together.  The original pattern was called Twice as Nice (I think) and developed for a magazine (American Patchwork and Quilting) years and years ago.  It really is just alternating 9-patch blocks and half square triangle blocks, of which you could easily make any size. These blocks are 6″ finished blocks when sewn in the quilt.  Therefore, the squares are cut 2-1/2″ square and the half square triangle blocks started out as 6-7/8″ blocks, cut in half diagonally.   These quilts do have borders, but I think I am going to make mine without, unless I find a big chunk of multi colored fabric in my stash that would go with all my other scraps.  Of course, a trip to the quilt shop for border fabric is not out of the question.  Here is a picture of the quilts we slept under this past week…the whole week could not have been better.  Thanks Tiedes!

IMG_1652

10 Comments on COULDN’T BE SWEETER

1. Muffy Tiede
    March 3, 2016 at 10:13 pm (3 years ago)

It was our pleasure and delight to spend time with both of you. Thanks for coming and for your gracious comments. You do remember that it was winning one of your quilt kits at a show you were doing at Luther Seminary that got me started on this wonderful trip into the world of fabrics. Changed my life! All good … Let’s do it again. Love to all of you and yours, Muffy

March 3, 2016 at 11:19 pm (3 years ago)

My readers loved seeing the quilts in “our” room. I have started to gather fabric scraps to make another one for our bed. I started to enjoy the lemons the very day we got home….love the picture of them in your blue bowl…worthy of a note card or artwork. We are looking forward to meeting the two of you when you get back to MN this spring before the busy summer routine gets started. Thanks again for a great vacation.

2. Dolly
    March 3, 2016 at 5:17 am (3 years ago)

I was surprised to see these quilts. I made the blue 9-patch version for my neice’s wedding. Love that quilt, your fabrics and patterns. I have totes and toes full of Thimbleberries. Many are the “vintage” Thimbleberries. Love your blogs.

March 3, 2016 at 10:05 am (3 years ago)

I am always so pleased to hear from long-time Thimbleberries fans. It sounds like you have quite a stash to work with and must be fun to dig through to make great scrap quilts.
      My Best,

3. Valeria Russell
    February 29, 2016 at 9:04 pm (3 years ago)

Your quilts and fabrics from days gone by just bring a peace to me whenever I see them.

February 29, 2016 at 9:21 pm (3 years ago)

Hi Valeria,
      I love seeing what I call “vintage Thimbleberries” as well and your description is lovely…it is exactly how I feel as well and I think I appreciate them even more than when I designed them when so much was going on in my personal and business life.
      My Best,

4. Martha Wels
    February 29, 2016 at 10:43 am (3 years ago)

Love the simplicity of the pattern combined with the blue/yellow color scheme!

February 29, 2016 at 12:27 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks…I can’t wait to get started on my scrap version.

5. Jacquelynn Fife
    February 29, 2016 at 9:46 am (3 years ago)

How lovely to reconnect with your friends and to see your quilts in action! Love the pattern and thanks for the cutting sizes. The fruit looks delicious! Sandy & I so enjoy your blogs and love seeing you on Craftsy! Great quilt that we are making there.

February 29, 2016 at 12:28 pm (3 years ago)

Hi Jackie….we all know how fun it is to reconnect with good friends. See you this fall.