As I set out to organize my sewing room and take time to really go through things and inventory what is hiding in all the drawers, baskets and shelves, I sometimes find random items that were worth keeping.  Such is the case with this assortment of zippers I purchased years ago at The Quilted Basket in Menomonie, WI.  My intention was to make quilted cosmetic bags for gifts, which I obviously did not accomplish. So now, I’ve found another use for the zippers.  I decided to make a small case to house my circular knitting needles, as they are a little difficult to corral.  I generally have a knitting project or two in progress at all times. They are great to have ready to pack when I travel.  I like to take a project that requires no concentration or complicated directions that would require counting or paying attention at any level.  It is something I can do while waiting at the airport, on the plane, when relaxing, in the middle of idle conversations or “watching” TV.  The infinity scarf I’m knitting now is a Gaptastic pattern, that is a free to use pattern online.  I changed the needle size because of the yarn I’m using, but have made over 20 scarves for gifts as the pattern is written.

IMG_1648

Zippered Pouch: Butt the edges of 8 zippers, each 12″ long, next to each other and stitch with a zig-zag stitch with variegated thread to attach the zippers together. The stitch length and width are medium.  I always test my stitch on scrap fabric to see what is pleasing.  Flip the ends of the zippers alternatively as you sew them together for interest.  To make the pouch, lay the “zipper unit” right sides together with a firm fabric of equal size.  Mine is a scrap of quilted fabric.  Upholstery or denim weight fabric would also work well.  Remember to open one of the zippers in the center a bit so that you can turn right side out after stitching around the perimeter of the case. Trim bulk from corners to make sharper corners.  The zippers pictured are metal with a decorative pull.  I probably get as many compliments on this case as I do the projects I have knitted.  I love making fun, quick projects from found items. It’s a little reward for saving the items but an even bigger reward to know I made use of them after all. This find is definitely a keeper.

Find more fun and creative projects on CREATE.

8 Comments on FINDERS, KEEPERS

1. Janet
    February 26, 2016 at 8:05 am (3 years ago)

Thank you Lynette. May I ask did you use a bulky weight yarn for the scarf in the picture? I am a new knitter. I look forward to your blog. Have a great weekend.

Janet

February 26, 2016 at 11:25 pm (3 years ago)

Hi Janet,
      The original Gaptastic pattern does call for a bulky yarn, like Quick and Thick with size 16 circular needles. My daughter likes a smaller gage yarn so I am using a less bulky yarn and a size 13 needle which still gives a great texture. So this yarn is 100 yards per skein, 100 grams 3-5.5 stitches per inch, which gives you a guide to how much yarn you need. I bought 4 skeins for the scarf. I always need the help from a friendly yarn store clerk to help me when I change yarn or needle size from the original pattern, which also means I shop for yarn at independent yarn stores because of their expertise just like I think quilters love independent quilt shops. The actual yarn I am using is Malabrigo Chunky, Kettle Dyed, Pure Merino Wool. It is so lovely to work with.

2. Michele Stenson
    February 23, 2016 at 10:33 pm (3 years ago)

love getting your blog always fun and inspirational. I own a quilt shop in Hanover mass and want to kit some of your Sweet Home fabrics can you give me a couple of patterns suggestions. I do have a good number of your patterns and books in inventory. thanks for the ehlp

February 26, 2016 at 6:45 am (3 years ago)

Hi Michele…
      Send me your phone number at the shop and would love to give you a call and we could discuss some options based on what you have in the store.
      Thanks,

3. Kathy
    February 23, 2016 at 10:07 pm (3 years ago)

Hi Lynette,
    I just want to say how much I enjoy everything you write, it’s always interesting and well written. Your post are just a pleasure to read, no matter what you happen to be sharing with us!!
    Kathy

February 24, 2016 at 10:39 am (3 years ago)

Hi Kathy,
      It is so sweet of you to participate and enjoy my blog…sometimes I feel like I should call it “berry babble” instead of the berry blog. It is just plain fun sharing a little of my daily life and activities with all of you.
      Stay in touch.

4. Janet
    February 23, 2016 at 9:34 am (3 years ago)

What yarn and needle size are you using for the gaptastic infinity scarf? Love the color!

February 23, 2016 at 11:28 am (3 years ago)

In the scarf pictured, I am using size 13 needles and casting on 161 stitches. The pattern is a seed stitch.