Recently, my daughter got a new job and moved into a beautiful corner office on the 7th floor of one of the Carlson Towers in Minnetonka, a western suburb of  Minneapolis.  She called with some decorating dilemmas and we worked together to make her new space her own while staying within the parameters of the companies “can and cannot” office decor outline. The view from her office looks south and west over some beautiful landscapes that include lakes and woodlands with house and house tops peaking out and even including some church steeples and barns. She moved in last fall and the view was quite spectacular.  She called to see if I would paint a VERY large picture (40″ x 48″) for the one wall that was not a a floor to ceiling window or held large pieces of furniture or doors.  She found a painting on the Pottery Barn website that we used as inspiration.  It is titled, Sienna Barn by Sally Rosenbaum.   I headed off to an art supply store and got the largest stretched canvas that would fit into my SUV, which happened to be exactly what Kerry requested.  She needed a different size than was available from Pottery Barn and wanted the colors to be a bit different to coordinate with other accessories she was using.  I accepted the challenge and turned my sewing room into a painting studio one afternoon and was able to replicate it enough to fit her request.  Here is my version of the PB print.  It works with her color scheme and has the same flavor as the scenery outside.  I was comfortable taking on this task as I know from experience, if it wasn’t what she had in mind, I could always paint over it.

IMG_1512

Kerry purchased a hand turned wooden bowl from one of my favorite artists, Jim Sannerud. He is based in Minneapolis and makes some really beautiful items that are functional and lovely.  Check out his website at jsannerud.com.  If you have time, watch the episode featuring his process as documented for a segment on MN Original, a PBS program that  highlights MN artists of all genres. The bowl I have (below) was fondly named “Big Blue”.  I purchased it from Jim at an art fair just before Christmas.  I always enjoy meeting the artist who had the inspiration and talent to make such a beautiful item.  I have found so many places in my home where it seems to naturally fit and am glad I didn’t talk myself out of purchasing it.  I actually do not need another bowl, but this is so much more than a bowl and I am thrilled to own it.

IMG_1596

Kerry purchased a similar one for her conference table, slightly smaller and in a rich soft green.  She decided that since the Carlson Company is a MN based firm, it would be appropriate to feature MN artists in her office….a nice touch, even if one of them is her mom.

19 Comments on MOM TO THE RESCUE

1. Carolyn
    February 15, 2016 at 8:19 am (3 years ago)

Can you give me the number of the item of the drapery rod you purchased for hanging the quilts? I looked for it on their website and couldn’t find it. THanks.

February 15, 2016 at 10:02 pm (3 years ago)

I am so sorry, I didn’t keep that information. I bought the rod in a West Elm store in Mpls. so don’t have the ordering information.
      It is a fairly common design, however, so you will be able to find one like it many places.

February 16, 2016 at 3:51 am (3 years ago)

Carolyn…I checked the West Elm site and found the rod. It is called the Industrial Pipe Adjustable Rod. Hope this helps.

2. Chris
    February 3, 2016 at 6:56 am (3 years ago)

Is there no end to your amazing talents? 🙂 I look forward to each of your posts and am so glad you’re sharing with us again. Love the painting and the bowls.

February 4, 2016 at 11:10 am (3 years ago)

Thanks…it was a fun project and always great to do things with Kerry.

3. Kathy
    February 3, 2016 at 3:59 am (3 years ago)

I have taught decorative painting for over thirty years Lynette, and let me tell you that your painting is spectacular!!! I would say you missed your calling, but you are a pretty darn good quilter and designer too!!! Lol! You are very talented in many ways, I wasn’t surprised to see the finished painting to be as good as it is. I just didn’t expect to be wowed as much as I was. Sorry for carrying on but I’m so impressed by your painting. And you did it in one afternoon!!!! Incredible!

February 4, 2016 at 11:15 am (3 years ago)

I have always wanted to try my hand at painting so bought some paints and brushes and started experimenting. It is something I just did’t allow myself to try while still working full time. As usual, if one is willing to try and fail and try again, as in paint over bad paintings, along the way a few things are learned and some actually turn out. I must say, I do love dabbling…literally. I am always surprised at having the guts to just plain try something, often works out. Thanks for the nice comments.

4. Pat Gaiefsky
    February 3, 2016 at 2:18 am (3 years ago)

It’s so nice to have a Mom who can help when needed. Beautiful painting and the wooden bowl is just perfect. I’ve loved your patterns for years and believe I bought just about all of your books and was in your clubs time and time again. It is so good to have you back in circulation with us. I retired and only have a small group of friends who are also quilters come over on Wednesday afternoons so we look forward to discussing all our weekly quilting projects. Once again, it’s glad to have you back.

February 4, 2016 at 11:18 am (3 years ago)

I bet you love getting together to “quilt”…even if that just means talking about it. Quilters are the best at sharing more than just quilting ideas. Have fun with your group and stay in touch.

5. Michele Stenson
    February 3, 2016 at 1:34 am (3 years ago)

I’m seeing a fabric line in both posted images!

February 4, 2016 at 11:19 am (3 years ago)

Inspiration does come from strange places sometimes.

6. Joyce Schey
    February 3, 2016 at 12:52 am (3 years ago)

Lynette, I see faces in the trees you have painted and wonder this is intended or just somehow happened. Very nice, I might add. Love that you are back and we can continue to learn from you. Thanks!

February 4, 2016 at 11:21 am (3 years ago)

No faces intended. I will have to take a closer look. Isn’t it interesting what an “eye” sees. I guess that is why it is said that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am glad you enjoyed the “non-quilting” post.

7. GBrown
    February 2, 2016 at 11:10 pm (3 years ago)

You are so able to take on tasks from every genre of art. I so admire your ability to just take it and run. I have learned so much over the years from your books, your not only told how to make a lovely quilt you showed how you could use it. Love the painting. Would love to see pix of the office.

February 4, 2016 at 11:23 am (3 years ago)

I would love to see the pictures too….Kerry is so busy with work and family that she keeps forgetting to send me photos of the finished space. If she does, I will be sure to post them.
      Thanks,

8. Martha Wels
    February 2, 2016 at 10:12 pm (3 years ago)

The painting is so inviting! The colors coordinate so well, as I would expect.
    The crockery bowl is a great touch. It would also work well with antique crocks. The artist is good at his work!

February 4, 2016 at 11:26 am (3 years ago)

Mixing colors for painting is of course my favorite part of the whole process. Perhaps all those years of working with fabric has been influential in any area regarding color. Did you have a chance to watch the video of Jim’s process in making the bowls…he is so Minnesotan. Love his work. I may just have to add another of his creations to my collection.

9. Mary Van E
    February 2, 2016 at 9:51 pm (3 years ago)

Congratulations to Kerryand to her mom for decorating to meet the situation. Ms Myron would be so proud of you!!

February 4, 2016 at 11:29 am (3 years ago)

Hi Mary,
      I don’t think MS Myron would ever be proud of me…made me chuckle, however.