IMG_1629All quilters agree, scraps keep on multiplying.  I never seem to get to the end of them. I however, always love what happens when I set my mind to making something with the smallest amount of cute fabrics.   I guess that is why I keep scraps of fabric I love. The pieced pillow is made from a combination of older Thimbleberries fabrics and one antique fabric scrap.  I made these two pillows recently from bits and pieces from the scrap bin, trim and button boxes.  They will find a home in Ella’s room at our house.  Interesting, I have a grand daughter that loves decorative pillows, especially little PINK ones. That worked out well as I seem to love making them. A new pillow always changes a room’s appearance.  It is such an inexpensive way to change things up a bit. These pictures are really just for inspiration…no step by step instructions are really necessary.

IMG_1628 You can see I simply pieced tiny bits of 2″ wide short strips together with bias seams…just as you would for binding strips. I made the strips longer than needed, to give me some extra for top stitching. If I start out with the exact length needed the fabric always seems to shift a bit when I quilt the top and the shape can get a little distorted.  But if I make the pillow top a little larger than needed, when the top is trimmed, I have a nice, clean,straight edge for the next step of assembling the pillow.  I stitched the strips together randomly, making sure I staggered the seams… I think it is more interesting.  I then layered the pillow top onto a scrap of cotton batting and did a small decorative herringbone stitch on the seams.  I stitched rick-rack on the seam lines here and there to add a little interest.  Pillows for little girl’s bedrooms can always use a little trim.   I then trimmed the pillow top to match the pillow form I had on hand and adding 1/2″ both directions for 1/4″ seam allowances on all sides.  I added the narrow, 1″ ruffle, but I am sure just it would have been as cute without one, if ruffles aren’t your thing.

The second pillow is all about buttons, and Ella loves colorful buttons.  Children’s manufactures seem to use a lot of them to trim little girl’s tops and dresses.  This fabric base was a scrap from a decorating project I did for her room at their cabin.  Too cute…just couldn’t throw it away.  The striped binding was made from a tiny bit leftover from curtains I made for her room.  No piecing needed here, just cute fabric and leftover buttons.  Start digging…there are cute projects lurking in your sewing room right now.  They just need a little bit of creative help.

IMG_1626

13 Comments on SCRAPS AND IDEAS JUST KEEP ON COMING

1. Kathy
    February 5, 2016 at 10:36 pm (4 years ago)

I wrote in before when I first saw this post. I love your pillows and I’ve always wondered, do you use a special attachment on your sewing machine to make this? I have one for mind but haven’t figured out how much fabric would I need in order to make it long enough for the pillow in mind. I know how to figure it out if I made them by hand, but I dread doing that way and having the threads break while I’m pulling them! I like the ruffles on your pillows, maybe because they aren’t wide, just noticeable and pretty!
    Sooooo glad you are back!!!!

February 6, 2016 at 8:56 pm (4 years ago)

I don’t use any attachment on my machine to make ruffles. Partly because I don’t like dealing with extra attachments but mostly because it is easier for me to make a ruffle fit when I can adjust the amount of gathers needed to fit the circumference of a pillow top. With many attachments, the ruffle is set once stitched and it cannot be adjusted. I will post directions for putting a ruffle on a pillow in my next post. Maybe others would like the tip as well. Stay in touch.

• Kathy
        February 6, 2016 at 9:47 pm (4 years ago)

Thank you Lynette. That’s why I don’t used my attachment either for the same reasons you just mentioned. I would appreciate hearing as to how you make ruffles and look forward to read it whenever you get the chance…..
        I certainly will keep in touch!!!
        I have many of your books and I bought them not so I could make all the quilts in them, but because they are beautiful books. I love your house and the way you decorate it, inside and out! I love to hear about your treasured antiques and hear the stories behind Them. I especially enjoyed reading about the little doll house your mother made for you when you were little, I think it was for Christmas. I could go on and on but I’ll stop for now and add bits and pieces along the way! Enjoy your day!!
        Ps: I love hearing about your family!
        Kathy

February 7, 2016 at 9:20 am (4 years ago)

Thanks…I will work on getting the post about pillow construction (with ruffles) ASAP.

2. Gail Brown
    January 25, 2016 at 11:26 pm (4 years ago)

I love, love, love those pillows. I recognize a few of the older fabrics, I used a lot of then and still have many in the scrap bin as well as on my shelves. I love scrap projects large and small. I know my great granddaughter would love those pillows. Looks like I have to start going thru the scrap bin.

3. Pamela
    January 25, 2016 at 9:49 am (4 years ago)

Loving the pillows! The buttons are adorable on the polka dots. I love the soft colors in both pillows. I am loving too the ruffled pillow with beautiful fabrics adorned with ric rac.

4. Donna
    January 25, 2016 at 3:27 am (4 years ago)

These two pillows are just wonderful, Lynette! I am so glad you are back inspiring and challenging us not only with your beautiful patterns but with small projects like these that eliminate some of our stash making someone’s room a little special. Thanks.

January 25, 2016 at 11:06 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks…they were really fun to make.

5. Kathy
    January 25, 2016 at 1:11 am (4 years ago)

I’m so glad I found you and that you have a website!!! I had looked for you before but not in the right place.
    I love the pillows and I’m definitely going to make one or both.
    I’m also very happy that you are spending so much time with your grandchildren. It seems it was time for you to work less and take time to enjoy life with your family. I love your posts filled with your quilting, decorating wisdom and great style!!!
    Best to you and your lovely family.
    Kathy

January 25, 2016 at 11:11 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Kathy…it has been fun to back in touch with all of you. And, obviously, I have trouble with stopping the creative process and that is a good thing. So I am going to embrace it and enjoy the ride.
      My Best,

6. Pat Gaiefsky
    January 25, 2016 at 12:38 am (4 years ago)

Love them. We really have missed your ideas.

January 25, 2016 at 11:12 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Pat…they were really a fun project and Ella loves them. Isn’t that just the best. Stay in touch.

January 25, 2016 at 11:14 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Pat..stay in touch.