Our grandchildren, Taylor age 6 and Ella age 4, had a sleep over last weekend at our house. As all children, they love doing art and craft projects.  The more glue, pom pons, glitter and markers, the better.  The dining room table is consumed by our mess when the three of us get going.  Sometimes this kind of thing goes all day off and on and we have to clear once in a while for meals.  They love doing the crafts in the main dining area because they are in the middle of all the action and conversation.  They also love not getting dressed until late in the day.  Sometimes Ella doesn’t get out of her nightgown and slippers until bath/bedtime when a new set is chosen.

One of the main craft projects involved large paper bags with handles that I had cut apart so they were working with a single sheet of paper that had a handle on the top just perfect for hanging when the artwork was finished.    We called it ‘bag art” and they were all “gung-ho” to get started. IMG_1560We decided that a snowman shape and cotton balls would be a good place to start.  I put glue on a paper plate so they could dip the cotton balls in the glue.  Then I stepped out of the picture and let them go to town, creating their little masterpieces.   I collect items for our “art jar” as I see things that would interest them.  I try to have plenty of markers, paper, colored pencils, and crayons at their disposal at all times.  I was excited when I thought of the paper bag foundation piece of the project.  Too often regular paper is too small and also too thin to support all paint, glue and goodies they like to use to embellish their artwork.

IMG_1565Taylor got going immediately filling in the body after putting the face details on his snowman.

IMG_1563Ella is obviously contemplating some serious design decisions making sure she takes a different direction than Taylor’s composition.

After the glue was dry, the pictures hung on doorknobs around the house, moving around often during the day.  Because of the handles on the bag, they could easily hang them in many places.  When it was time to return home, the pictures went with and found a great place to hang in the front hall of their house.

FullSizeRender

10 Comments on BUSY LITTLE ARTISTS

1. Kathy Cleve
    December 18, 2015 at 12:07 pm (3 years ago)

Such a wonderful idea, Lynette….Bag art with handles!!!! Wish I would have thought of it years ago, before I retired from teaching…those little Pre-K kids would have loved it…even my first through third graders!
    I am definitely saving my grocery and other bags with handles for my youngest grandchildren, Easton (22 months), and Emme (8 months) for when they are a little older.

I love your site, but most of all I miss the Retreats up in Hutch!!!
    Thanks, Lynette!
    Kathy

December 19, 2015 at 7:40 pm (3 years ago)

I miss those retreats in Hutchinson as well. Those were some really great times with great people. I love the “bag art” idea, too.
      I was one of my best ideas to keep those little hands busy. I think we will do more today. Grocery bags at this time of the year are not
      in short supply.
      Happy Holidays,

2. Maureen
    December 18, 2015 at 8:48 am (3 years ago)

Thank you for sharing one of the special times in your life…………we grandmothers love seeing everybody’s grandchildren and sharing ideas! My sharing idea…………if you have small grandchildren that do not live close by…………record your voice reading a book (golden books ,Dr. Seuss etc. ) tell them when to turn the page as when you finish recording you mail them the book and the recording. That way they get to hear and become familiar with your voice. When you do see them they will have the idea that they know you better.

3. Crystal
    December 18, 2015 at 7:07 am (3 years ago)

Love the bag art. Granddaughters and I will give it a go tomorrow!

4. Kim Hartwig
    December 18, 2015 at 2:51 am (3 years ago)

Lynette, thanks so much for the “bag” idea. So much easier to move around and hang in different places without all of the tape. This will definitely be a hit with my Grandchildren.

December 19, 2015 at 7:47 pm (3 years ago)

Hi Kim,
      We have more bags ready to go for another round of “bag art” today. I guess the kids liked the idea as much as I did.
      My Best,

5. Gail Brown
    December 18, 2015 at 1:30 am (3 years ago)

Such a clever idea using the handled bags. I am storing this idea away for my great grandchildren. It’s wonderful for all seasons. I can see Easter eggs, some of my more defunct silk flowers, seeds, nuts, leaves. Endless possibilities.

December 18, 2015 at 1:53 am (3 years ago)

It was a fun project. I have more bag “canvases” ready to go for this weekend.
      My Best,

6. Mary Van Eeckhout
    December 18, 2015 at 12:58 am (3 years ago)

I love the bag ideas. It will be perfect for my grandchildren, Anne, age 6 and Edward age 8. Thanks Lynette

December 18, 2015 at 1:56 am (3 years ago)

Hi Mary,
      “Bag Art” will be perfect for Anne and Edward. Every once in a while an idea really works out like it should.
      Thanks for your Christmas letter. We are glad to hear Ed’s surgery was successful. It was so much fun seeing you in September
      and so nice to have time to really catch up.
      Happy Holidays,