I hope you have a chance to check out the new Winter 2015 Fons and Porter’s Easy Quilts issue that has just come out.  My wool and flannel appliquéd pillows are featured in the issue. I like to combine these two fabrics in projects.  They have the same warm, soft properties and really complement each other.  Using flannel for the foundation makes the construction of the pillow very easy.  Using the wool for the applique shapes makes them more dimensional and the stitching nestles in nicely. I did mine using a hand blanket stitch and pearl cotton which is always one of my favorite hand stitches. It is such a joy to do when working with wools and flannels. However, for those that do not like to do hand work, they can also be machine appliquéd. If doing so, test the stitches you want to use to make sure the length and width work well with the fabrics you have chosen.  I would also suggest that you hand baste your images on so that they stay securely in place when machine stitching.  Pick up the issue where magazines are sold in your area, and visit your quilt shop for a lovely selection of wools and flannels for your pillows and make some fun Yuletide accessories for your home or for gifts.  You can still get them done in time to enjoy this season.

IMG_1155

9 Comments on YULETIDE CHEER

1. Ruth Wildermuth
    January 10, 2017 at 11:01 pm (2 years ago)

I have the Tree Farm Throw. Went to your website to see if I should pre-wash and there I found an article which outlined everything I should do when quilting with flannel. Thank you so much.

2. Mil
    February 12, 2016 at 2:27 pm (3 years ago)

Hi Lynette, I was sewing Small Pines, from “Book of Quilts and wondered what I’m doing wrong, I just can’t see the problem….
    I copies each cut and increased it by 200 % to make a larger table topper. Once the strips are put together the block is no longer square. The book doesn’t indicate the size it is supposed to be, and I wondered is you could share what the measurements of the block is supposed to be? Thanks for any advise you can share with me.

Regards
    Mil Strickland

February 15, 2016 at 10:14 pm (3 years ago)

I dug out the book and on page 77, on the top right corner of the beginning of the instructions the first paragraph titled SIZE gives the size of the finished project…18-1/2″ square (unquietly) and the block size is 4-1/2″. I do not recommend increasing the template size on a copier…the pieces are never accurate. It is a small quilt, and you may have to make it the size it is in the book.

3. Ruth Wildermuth
    December 12, 2015 at 12:55 pm (3 years ago)

So glad to see you are back. I started quilting with your clubs and got my daughter started with your club. I think I was in about 5 of your quilt clubs and am looking forward to doing another club. It is so much fun and can’t wait to see the following month each time. It kept me busy trying to get the project done because I was working 10 hours a day and had 2 children at home. I am 79 now and look forward to the new club you have.

December 18, 2015 at 2:04 am (3 years ago)

Hi Ruth,
      I hope you saw my post about the Fons and Porter Project of the Month. It is similar to the kind of Thimbleberries Clubs quilt shops
      offered in the past. I think you will like the projects. Thanks for your continued interest.
      Happy Holidays,

• Ruth Wildermuth
        December 18, 2015 at 3:55 am (3 years ago)

I have already signed up as a present from my husband for Xmas.

December 19, 2015 at 7:45 pm (3 years ago)

Hi Ruth,
          I think you are going to love your Christmas present all year long. Happy Holidays.
          My Best,

4. Michele Stenson
    December 9, 2015 at 9:01 pm (3 years ago)

so happy you’re back in the quilting world sharing your wonderful ideas with us! Are some of your older patterns still available? I’d like to make a wholesale purchase of your earlier designs for my quilt shop in Hanover, Massachusetts. Thank You, Michele Stenson

December 9, 2015 at 9:58 pm (3 years ago)

Hi Michele,
      The stock of my publications that are still available can be purchased from Landauer Corporation. The items available are shown on their website at landauerpub.com. Contact them at 800-557-2144 and they can help you. Thanks so much for your interest.
      My Best,