WINNING ICE BOX COOKIES

Winning Ice Box CookiesJust before Thanksgiving I mentioned that I liked to get a few cookies made before the crowd arrives and especially like to have a make-ahead cookie dough that freezes well. This one is the best.  It is not overly sweet but great with coffee and of course a tall glass of cold milk.  They are also good cookies for the basis of homemade ice cream sandwiches.  When needed I can take the roll of cookie dough out of the freezer, slice and bake and instantly have warm, fresh cookies without any prep mess.  This is a recipe I clipped from the Minneapolis Star and Tribune newspaper many years ago.  It has become one of those yellowed newspaper clippings taped to a recipe card that is so comforting to pull out knowing an old- fashioned cookie is soon to appear.  I split off a small portion of the dough before adding the chopped walnuts and make a smaller size roll to slice and bake so my granddaughter Ella and I have little cookies to frost.  She does love frosting and these cookies are nice and sturdy and do not crumble while she is adding the magic touch.  Who knows, there may also be sprinkles involved.  Did you know, when baking cookies the oven temperature and baking time is only dependable if the cookie sheets used are always room temperature for each sheet of cookies.  So if you are baking dozens of cookies, either let the pans cool between batches or watch the timing.

Winning Ice Box CookiesWinning Ice Box Cookies

2 Comments on WINNING ICE BOX COOKIES

1. donna
    December 4, 2015 at 10:04 pm (3 years ago)

YUM! Thank you so much for sharing. These will be fun to make with my little great niece. I also make your carmel’s out of one of your books. My family loves them.
    Hugs
    donna

December 5, 2015 at 12:21 am (3 years ago)

I think you are really going to like these cookies. They are so versatile. Sometimes I use pecans in stead of walnuts and sometimes I frost them with a brown sugar frosting as well. They just always seem to be yummy.
      Happy Holidays.

Winning Ice Box Cookies

This cookie recipe is the best.  It is not overly sweet but great with coffee and of course a tall glass of cold milk. I split off a small portion of the dough before adding the chopped walnuts and make a smaller size roll to slice and bake so my granddaughter Ella and I have little cookies to frost.  She does love frosting and these cookies are nice and sturdy and do not crumble while she is adding the magic touch.  Who knows, there may also be sprinkles involved. (more…)

Winning Ice Box Cookies
6 dozen
Cook Time
10-12 minutes
Ingredients
Servings:
Instructions
  1. Cream butter and sugars. Add eggs and beat until well blended. Mix soda, salt and flour together with a whisk and mix into creamed mixture in thirds. Stir in walnuts.
  2. Divide dough into three parts and roll into logs about 2-1/2” in diameter. Wrap logs in clear cellophane wrap and chill overnight or freeze. If you plan on freezing for a long period, put cello wrapped logs in another freezer bag.
  3. The dough is soft and impossible to slice unless the dough is very cold. Cut logs into 1/4” slices and place about 2” apart on the baking sheet.
  4. Bake at 375° for 10 to 12 minutes. Makes about 6 dozen, depending on the diameter of the rolled logs.
Recipe Notes

Did you know that the temperature and baking time given in a cookie recipe only applies when the cookie sheet is at room temperature. If you don’t allow your cookies sheets to cool between batches, the baking time will vary. So watch closely as you bake…the time may change from the first sheet of cookies you bake to the last.

Powered byWP Ultimate Recipe

4 Comments on Winning Ice Box Cookies

1. Laura Schuler
    July 8, 2018 at 7:22 pm (11 months ago)

I am looking for printed instructions for Garden charm. I have kit and January and February . Please help I need the rest .

July 9, 2018 at 8:41 pm (11 months ago)

The instructions for that quilt are only available from Craftsy where you got your kit from. They originally were given on line as a quilt of the month program where you could watch episodes for each segment of the quilt while following along with instructions included in the kit. There were 6 episodes. It is an exclusive product of Craftsy and I cannot pass on instructions outside of their format. If you got the kit from them, you have the instructions somewhere.

2. Diane Riedmiller
    December 4, 2015 at 7:50 am (3 years ago)

How do I get recipes?

December 4, 2015 at 10:40 am (3 years ago)

Diane…
      At the top of the Thimbleberries Home Page is the header with categories. Click on YUM and it should take you to the recipes.
      I hope you enjoy them all.
      My Best,